We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

will we need air conditioning in March?

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
will we need air conditioning in March?

We have reserved a room at Banana Azul in March, but I'm a little concerned that there is no air conditioning. I like heat in general, but if it's really hot and humid, I'm concerned that it might be uncomfortable. Banana Azul is right on the beach, so that may make a difference. Has anyone visited Puerto Viejo in March and have advice? Thanks in advance!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,297 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: will we need air conditioning in March?

Yes March is my favorite month to visit Puerto Viejo and we never stay in an air-conditioned unit while there. Heat has not been an issue for us. It tends to cool down at night and we are comfortable with a fan for sleeping. Humidity is more of an issue for most visitors than the actual temps that time of year. I think you'll be fine. Banana Azul is a great choice.

Edited: 11:16 pm, January 08, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: will we need air conditioning in March?

In 37 visits to Costa Rica, i rarely have AC...I take a nice shower before bed to cool down if hot and no breeze,,,I like to hear the bugs and monkeys and birds and waves...

Edited: 11:19 pm, January 08, 2013
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: will we need air conditioning in March?

I m with crfan...a nice fan will do it...we grow up in our country without ac..for us natives a fan is ok and we can live without even a fan...

Roadadvisor

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: will we need air conditioning in March?

Being just off the beach will keep temperatures cooler, Banana Azul has some rooms with AC too, you might want to ask if available. But i think you'll be ok without.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: will we need air conditioning in March?

You should be fine for March... May might be a different story. It tends to be the most humid month. I am sensitive to that, so it would be an issue for me. We all respond differently to temperatures. Personally one of the main reasons I picked to live and have a business on the Caribbean side, was the fact that it was not as hot. I loved Samara... but too hot for me.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,083 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: will we need air conditioning in March?

We spent a week in August, room on first floor of Banana Azul, and never needed an A/C.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: will we need air conditioning in March?

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I'm really looking forward to visiting Costa Rica for the first time.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: will we need air conditioning in March?

Wow. You are all invited to my rental house in Nosara! LOL. I have not had a single renter that does not want to have all air conditioners on ..all the time..even when they are not there. It's very expensive!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: will we need air conditioning in March?

Sorry to heard that AllyLam...that is the way it goes...most people will leave the AC on all day long...!

Now days the power bill is not cheap...agree with you!

roadadvisor

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: will we need air conditioning in March?

Well, CR used to be a more no frills traveler, but the last decade its now like Hawaii, and people want a TV, a phone, AC. I dont miss the suicide showers though :)

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...