We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife?

USA
Level Contributor
79 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Wildlife?

Hello,

I will be in PV next week (at Azania Bungalows). I was just curious about the wildlife viewing opportunities in PV. I was in Dominical a few years back and saw animals everywhere just walking down the street. Is the wildlife as abundant in PV or do you need to take a trip into the national park with a guide to really spot wild animals?

Thanks!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildlife?

You'll see plenty of wildlife but a visit to the national park in Cahuita would be really worthwhile - with or without a guide. Why not book a snorkeling trip in Cahuita and ask to be dropped at the point at the end of the trip and hike back through the park?

Enjoy!

USA
Level Contributor
79 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildlife?

Thank you! That is excellent advice.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildlife?

Cahuita National Park has most wildlife, but you can also see stuff in Punta Uva and Manzanillo. Very good guide in Manzanillo named Ricky.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildlife?

You wont be disappointed, besides Cahuita NP, you'll see monkeys just a steps away South of Azanias all the way to Manzanillo. Rent bikes and take your time looking around and up, lots of sloths, monkeys, iguanas, and birds.

Take a guided tour in the Gandoca Manzanillo Refuge and you'll see lots more, besides Ricky, Abel and Florentino are also great if available.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,438 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildlife?

Around Punta Uva...a lot of monkies...well they are really everywhere around...the best local guide...Abel Bustamante...he is the one of the best bird watchers guide in the country...and of course he is local!

roadadvisor

minneapolis
Level Contributor
84 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wildlife?

I spend most of my visits in Costa Rica birding and hiking, and Punta Uva and points south offer far more wildlife than Cahuita--the habitat is far less disturbed. Stayed in Punta Uva/Cocles four times, and Cahuita for one week. I have used a wonderful guide Alex Paez, a native who lives just northwest of Puerto Viejo. He can take you to the Raptor tower and show you wonderful nature in the hills just to the northwest of Playa Negra. His email is manakinguia.hotmail.com. (Manakin is a type of bird). Hire a guide early in your visit and you will have better trained eyes for finding your own wildlife throughout the week. Enjoy!

USA
Level Contributor
79 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wildlife?

Thank you! Will I see much wildlife around Cocles where I am staying?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,438 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wildlife?

Yes you will!

roadadvisor

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wildlife?

As the others mentioned, you should see plenty of wildlife on the Caribbean side. IMO, this is the most underrated area in the country. There are absolutely gorgeous beaches, loads of wildlife and great people over there. Enjoy your trip!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wildlife?

Sssssh! ExplorinCA, if you tell everyone how great it is, they'll all want to come! ;)

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...