We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian friendly restaurant in San Jose

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Vegetarian friendly restaurant in San Jose

We'll be spending the night in San Jose before heading to PV. Can anyone recommend a vegetarian-friendly restaurant? We are staying at Hotel Aranjuez, Calle 19, ave 11 y 13, de la Iglesia Santa Teresita Barrio - which if I understand correctly is near downtown.

Gracias!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarian friendly restaurant in San Jose

Most restaurants would offer vegetarian dishes. There is a vegetarian restaurant downtown San Jose Vishnu facebook.com/pages/… maybe your hotel can call a cab for you to take you there. They have good vegetarian food and they are not expensive

Edited: 12:46 pm, May 15, 2012
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarian friendly restaurant in San Jose

I do not know why the link is not working but look on facebook under Vishnu-Restaurantes-Vegetarianos and you will find them

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarian friendly restaurant in San Jose

I agree with Mike on Vishnu. I walk by there fairly often and the menu looks good. Also, you might try Tin Jo. They have Asian food and it is easy to eat vegetarian there. The same with Taj Mahal in Escazu. Indian food here, which makes it super easy to go vegetarian.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegetarian friendly restaurant in San Jose

Thanks!

Litchfield...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegetarian friendly restaurant in San Jose

Charlie, we ate at an amazing Soda which had vegan mockmeats and whatnot. Found it on www.happycow.net, which is a lifesaver for vegetarian/vegan travelers everywhere! Have fun!

Also, do not miss the BBQ Plantains at Stashu's. I still dream of them!

-k

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegetarian friendly restaurant in San Jose

In Puerto Viejo, there is Veronica's Place, right in centre of town. Totally vegetarian with local Caribbean cuisine.

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegetarian friendly restaurant in San Jose

If any of you that are interested in vegan food are ever in Jaco, there is one of the best vegan restaurants I have ever been to. Pura Vida Pantry. Raw and vegan food that is out of this world. Wide selection of juices to. Had raw vegan spring rolls with a peanut sauce last time. Different special everyday. The vegan lifestyle is this families passion in life and it shows in the food.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,128 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegetarian friendly restaurant in San Jose

Get some awesome vegetarian at Taj Mahal - http://www.thetajmahalrestaurant.com/ If you like Indian food you will be in heaven. One of the best restaurants in the city IMO.

Cheers

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,222 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegetarian friendly restaurant in San Jose

Taj Mahal is great for vegetarian food - but it's not near downtown. Like Inca and jako said, it is excellent.

If you are looking for something in the downtown area, I'd also suggest Tin Jo - they have an entire section of the menu dedicated to vegetarian dishes.

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
435 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vegetarian friendly restaurant in San Jose

Charlie Y, when you get out of the Hotel Aranjuez, turn right and walk two blocks till you reach the hospital. Turn right, one block down, then left, again one block and next right. On this street, Avenida 11, you will find a lovely small place, serving nice vegetarian food. They don't have a big choice but all home made and fresh and within walking distance. Zoom in on the map on the hotels website: http://www.hotelaranjuez.com/location.html and then follow the red route away from the hotel til you get to Avenida 11. It is half way on this street going down hill from the hospital.