We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why Isn't The Garbage Collected?

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis
Level Contributor
27 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Why Isn't The Garbage Collected?

We had a wonderful one-week stay in the PV area. Just about everything was absolutely great and would love to return. One thing, however, is that there are large piles of stinking bags of garbage all along the main road. They were there all week, and seemed to grow bigger every day. On Saturday (I believe) a garbage truck was working to pick up some of it (holy crap what a gaggingly gross smell!!!) but didn't even dent the total. The piles are not only an eyesore and really really smell bad, they also attract dogs and other animals who just tend to spread it around. Can anyone tell my the garbage just sits there and isn't picked up? Hopefully this is a short term thing and we just happened to be there at a bad time or something.

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why Isn't The Garbage Collected?

You actually were here at a bad time, normally it's much better. The reason it was that bad is probably the extreme amount because of the Easter week, causing a problem for the only one garbage truck we have for a rather large area.

Good you enjoyed the rest and next time will probably be better.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,873 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why Isn't The Garbage Collected?

Sounds holiday related to me too. Glad to hear that you had fun though, stinkiness aside!

Cheers

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why Isn't The Garbage Collected?

Sometimes big holidays such as Easter overburden the garbage services. Then.... sometimes the garbage men go on strike!

Where I live, we have garbage pickup twice a week - Tuesday and Friday -- but because of Easter, we didn't have the Friday pickup.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,256 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why Isn't The Garbage Collected?

Yes, I think it must have been because of the holiday. No garbage piles in Puerto Viejo or Playa Cocles when I was there in early March.

I think that in the larger cities in the central valley the garbage service picks up more than once a week and most people only put out their bags of trash the morning of the scheduled pick up.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why Isn't The Garbage Collected?

Not only is there one truck and Easter week, it takes them at least one week if not 2 to clear the backlog. Remember the population in puerto quadruples over Easter week.

You want to see garbage problems? Go to Bocas del Toro. We r light years ahead of them and they have a very secure revenue stream with the Panama canal.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
27 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why Isn't The Garbage Collected?

I didn't realize there was such an influx of people over Easter Week. Thanks.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why Isn't The Garbage Collected?

One thing else I discovered in these developing countries... Garbage is new for many of them. Locals told me when you went to work, rice and beans were wrapped in banana leafs and tied with twine. Drinks were water or coconut water. All materials were organic and they just threw them anywhere.

The garbage on the beaches until recently used to be much worse, because there was almost no place to put garbage and very few had cars to take it with you. If you were walking, biking or bus, you would very likely not feel compelled to take your garbage with you.

Now, you can see in all the stores the introduction of processed food and everything in containers. The city and the country is struggling with ways to deal with the increasing amount of waste.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why Isn't The Garbage Collected?

Dealing with garbage is a difficult issue for any municipality anywhere in the world these days.

It's especially difficult when there is an "ebb and flow" of tourists who add to the mix. During times such as Semana Santa (Easter week), it's almost impossible to keep up!

Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why Isn't The Garbage Collected?

You wouldn't believe the amount of people in the PV area during Holy Week. Many camping on the beach. We left on Good Friday and the traffic coming into PV reminded me of Jersey Shore traffic!

10. Re: Why Isn't The Garbage Collected?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:41 am, June 19, 2013