We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Weather

We will be arriving in Puerto Viejo on March 26th. Every time I check the weather it says rain. Does it shower every day or is this a rainy season? What is the average temp this time of year? This is our first trip to Costa Rica we can't wait!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,989 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather

Forget the weather forecasts - they always say rain. We were in PV last week and it rained everyday BUT most of the rainfall fell at night and rainshowers during the day were brief. We did have some days that were mostly cloudy but the sun was out and the sky was blue most afternoons. In PV the daytime temps varied between 80 and 90. Substantially cooler at night. We had no problems sleeping with just a ceiling fan but this is a humid spot so things had a hard time drying out. See more at tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g309265-i4753-k524…

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather

As crfan said, the weatherman is mostly wrong in Costa Rica, even if it rains, it will be hot, plan on high 80's, at night, it always drops around high 60's-low 70s at night.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather

It is very hard to tell about weather. March and April are part of our summer season so you should have nice sunny weather. Lately at some places like Cartago (that is under the influence of our caribbean side) have had a few rains including today for a couple of hours and then it gets sunny and nice.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather

This is such a common (valid) question and we who live here have a very hard time answering it feeling that we are giving accurate information and not "sugar coating" the real situation as well.

I am from Vancouver, Canada and listen,... I know how rain can ruin a week (or month ;-). It has been my experience here that 65% rain comes at night. Much of day time rain is short showers (love the heavy ones. Very intense).

Rarely has there been enough of an inconvenience with rain when it does rain, that people have left early.

The weather forecasts mean almost nothing, unless you look at a satellite picture and see a huge system covering the whole country. That usually means rain for a few days.

Weather trends are even now being thrown out the window as Costa Rica like many other places are experiencing climate change.

My friend is here right now. He was on Pacific for a week. He said while it was much sunnier there, he could not even find comfort in the shade as it was too hot.

So, I am not sure if that answers your question, but it is the reality.

Cheers, Colin.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather

We just spent 4 days in Puerto Viejo - and like you, the forecast said rain, rain and more rain every day.

In reality, it POURED most nights, but we never experienced a drop of rain during the day. In fact, it was sunny and beautiful 3 of the days, and cloudy for one. I was nervous too about having the rain ruin our trip, but it really didn't.

London
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather

It is raining right now! Poured rain the last 2 nights. Yesterday morning rain ended about 9am. Today is forecast to be rainy. Temps are quite cool in the evening...I keep hearing it is unseasonably cool and normally would be blistering hot? It is quite lovely but the sea is "stirred up" with poor vis for snorkeling and diving. I won't say it is "ruining" my visit it has changed my outdoor plans.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather

Yes, on top of the recent rain, it has been unseasonily cool. Many of us are saying we are getting our january weather we did not have now here in mid-march. Kind of scary... actually.

8. Re: Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:40 am, June 20, 2013