We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! --Transportation

Redondo Beach
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Help! --Transportation

Hi all,

My trip to Puerto Viejo is fast approaching (2 weeks away). The last kink we need to get worked out is our transportation from Puerto Viejo back to San Jose.

The trouble we have is that our flight leaves at 2:15pm. Originally we were going to take the Gecko Airport Express however, that service hasn't started yet.

So far, the options I've seen are either the 5:30 Easyrider shuttle bus (however I haven't heard the greatest about this service) or the 5:30 public bus to Cahuita and then transfer to the 7:00 public bus from Cahuita to San Jose.

Does anyone have recommendations of how to get to the airport on time without private transport or renting a car?

Thanks in advance!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,422 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help! --Transportation

Wow Geckoes Lodge that was a surprise about the road delays on Monday! Glad we managed to miss it. Left Cahuita at 6:30 AM on Monday, took the shortcut thru Beverly, stopped at a soda near Guapiles for breakfast and drove by the airport at 11 AM. We were so early that we drove out to Zoo Ave and spent some time there before checking in for our afternoon flight. If I were Chelsia and could afford the cost, I'd just pop for a private driver and leave very early in the morning.

You can also check w/ puertoviejosatellite.com to reserve a private driver.

Edited: 9:36 pm, March 13, 2012
Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help! --Transportation

There is going to be road construction for about 1 1/2 months on the highway fro PV to San Jose, with only one lane in operation, expect delays.

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Help! --Transportation

Apart from delays, one should be extra careful. Many drivers after having had to wait because of road-works will try and make up for time!

NY
Level Contributor
184 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Help! --Transportation

I took easyrider from SJO to Puerto Viejo, and we loved our driver- Ollie.

Contact them- they're reliable, and if you leave very early, you will be fine.

We didn't have anyone with us in the van, we got lucky I suppose, so chances might be the same for you.

Good luck!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,422 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Help! --Transportation

I'll disagree strongly with gidget on this one. I drove Hwy 32 last week and eastbound traffic was backed up for miles. That was before construction began. There is no way I would risk travel the day of your flight while this road is under construction as the road has very many slow-moving trucks and not that many passing zones. Save yourself a lot of grief and head back toward San Jose the day before your flight. You can use that last morning to visit Poas or Zoo Ave or downtown San Jose but at least you won't have to worry about making your flight.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,438 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Help! --Transportation

Now days naybe better to stay the night before around SJO!

roadadisor

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Help! --Transportation

Just drove to San Jose on Wednesday to take my friend to the airport for his 2:00 pm flight. we left PV at 6:10 am and were at airport at 10:30am.

I usually drive the speed limit, but dont put up with slow trucks. I have l;earned in this country that Double solid is merely a suggestion ;-)

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Help! --Transportation

Why don't you catch a taxi to the Cahuita bus station instead of taking the bus? That way you don't have to worry about taking two buses. Just get yourself to the bus station early enough to catch the 7am bus! Or, if you can afford it, do what we did our last day and arrange a private shuttle to pick you up in the morning in PV and take you straight to the airport! Our hotel, La Costa de Papito set it all up for us. It was baout $120 if I remember right, but totally worth it so we could stay as long as we could in PV.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Help! --Transportation

Why don't you catch a taxi to the Cahuita bus station instead of taking the bus? That way you don't have to worry about taking two buses. Just get yourself to the bus station early enough to catch the 7am bus! Or, if you can afford it, do what we did our last day and arrange a private shuttle to pick you up in the morning in PV and take you straight to the airport! Our hotel, La Costa de Papito set it all up for us. It was baout $120 if I remember right, but totally worth it so we could stay as long as we could in PV.

Ingleside, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Help! --Transportation

I'm with the "leave the day before" crowd. Too many variables on the drive to San Jose, with public or private transport. Take the last bus out of PV in the late afternoon, and you won't miss much. A night in San Jose is always fun.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...