We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

You guys are scaring me...re: Playa Negra

Los Angeles Ca.
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
You guys are scaring me...re: Playa Negra

Well, I was just reading some of the posts and it seems playa negra has had some real issues with crime, and theft lately. We are going in April, and will be staying in a small hotel in Playa Negra. A b&b actually. Should we not go? Is there a way to make sure our stuff does not get stolen from the room? Or while we are out, etc? I'm a bit nervous now.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: You guys are scaring me...re: Playa Negra

I think the topic of safety has been discussed quite frequently on the CR forum. Have you taken a moment to read the top questions on the upper right-hand side of this page: 'What safety precautions should I take to avoid crime?'

I just spent 3 days in the Puerto Viejo & playa Cocles area which is south of playa Negra. I stayed in a small rental cabin which had a metal strong box. Safety for me was pretty simple: only bring with you what you need (enough money, a towel for the beach, etc.). Leave your expensive clothes, jewelry, electronics, etc. either locked up in your room safe & don't bring them to CR. If you go to the beach, then someone should always stay with your stuff or else don't bring it.

The area has a very strong 70's hippy feel to me, but I think there is something to do which will interest most people. There are dirt cheap & expensive restaurants some of which I was told are more expensive than those in NYC. Rent a bike, walk, but take a taxi after dark. Bring flashlights as it can be pitch black especially away from the moonlight/beach.

Ask your hotel staff about safety. Heed their advice. They will probably have published info posted on the wall or in a pamphlet by your bedside. If anyone bothers you, give them a firm NO & keep walking. Don't worry about being polite.

It's easy to let your guard down as you're on vacation, but you have be aware of what's going on around you.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: You guys are scaring me...re: Playa Negra

Just common sense...I drive a lot of people to that area and so far so good...

roadadvisor

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
282 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: You guys are scaring me...re: Playa Negra

I live in Playa Negra (Black Beach) and there has not been any more crime there than anywhere else in the area or in Costa Rica, for that matter. On the Caribbean side petty theft is common. I always say that if anything is left vulnerable it will be taken. At my place we have two dogs - which really deter the thieves - good locks on the doors and windows and someone is almost always around. I remind my guests not to take valuables to the beach, as advised in a previous reply. And not to take more money than they will spend when they go out. Don't be scared, just use your head.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: You guys are scaring me...re: Playa Negra

I just spent 7 nights in Puerto Viejo and went out day and night. We walked everywhere and when in doubt, took a taxi home. The fare for us was only $2.00! We NEVER felt unsafe, loved everything about PV and can't wait to return. We had also read all the negative posts so we were very aware and kept looking out for anything sketchy but alas, couldn't find it :).

My friend purchased something similar to this anti-theft bag pacsafe.com/www/index.php… and we left our camera, passports and extra money in it and chained to the bed or other unmoveable object. We were so at ease knowing that if we saw someone dragging a bed down the street, we would have enough time to alert the authorities! :)

Waltham...
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: You guys are scaring me...re: Playa Negra

Visting costa rica now... I didn't get to make it to the caribean side.... But I would say I was a little nervous reading post as well... Your from L.A..... "But your smart hat on and dont be stupid"... If it smells bad, looks bad or feels bad... Dont walk down that road...etc. The people are really friendly, happy, and nice. The "the bad people" don't look any different than a drug users or bums in the states. Hope this helps.... Pure Vida :-)

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: You guys are scaring me...re: Playa Negra

I don't believe that Playa Negra or the Caribe Sur is any worst than any other touristy area of Costa Rica. Leave your valuables back home and if you bring them don't show them off and keep them safely locked up at rental or hotel, use common sense just like you do in SoCal and you'll be fine and have a excellent trip.

Los Angeles Ca.
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: You guys are scaring me...re: Playa Negra

Thanks everyone. Seeing as I am from LA, I am aware of crime and I know to be smart as far as avoiding dark streets, taking taxis at night, etc. I am mainly worried about theft of my luggage, especially from the room. I am staying at the VIP playa negra, and I read that they had a few break ins recently and no safes in the room. Does anyone know a way I can keep luggage safe in the room?

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: You guys are scaring me...re: Playa Negra

To secure your luggage you can bring bicycle cable lock (they have some long ones) and secure your lugage together and to the bed or other solid fixture. This will make it harder to grab and go which in most cases is sufficient. Have pad locks for your luggage zipers. The anti theft bag in post 4 might help with other small items. Of course close and lock all doors to your room and dont leave any loose valuables lying around.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: You guys are scaring me...re: Playa Negra

According the the VIP website they have a safe box, I suggest you keep your valuables in there.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
665 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: You guys are scaring me...re: Playa Negra

There are other brands out there, but I've had good luck with the PacSafe brand of cable locks: http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3 I never felt the need to use ours on our recent trip but have used them before and they are nice and lightweight.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...