We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Viejo VS Tamarindo

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Viejo VS Tamarindo

we are a young couple in their early 30's and are planning a 1 week trip to arenal and then a beach destination in costa rica. We will be flying in from Toronto and would love to get suggestions on which beaches you would recommend that are ideal for swimming and snorkelling and yet not too far from the general Arenal -Liberia area as we only have 1 week. I have heard that the carribean beaches are better, but not sure if thats true.

We would like to stay at a beach that has warm waters, good food, cafes and some activity.

Any suggestions would be great, we are thinking of tamarindo beach, flamingo beach and Puerto Viejo

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Viejo VS Tamarindo

All the beaches will have warm water. Of the three you speak of, I would concentrate on Tamarindo or Flamingo area. Puerto Viejo is on the other side of the country, not an easy drive from the Liberia area.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Viejo VS Tamarindo

thank you for your help, really appreciate it.

Do you happen to know if driving around CR is ok and easy? we were thinking of flying into liberia - renting a car to get to arenal and then to tamarindo.

Is the driving relatively safe?

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Viejo VS Tamarindo

I agree with Allylam. Although Puerto Viejo has everything you are looking for, since you are having only one week, it is better for a next time. To drive from PV to Liberia will take around 8 hours.

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Viejo VS Tamarindo

Driving is ok. Just obey traffic rules, take it easy and avoid going from one destination to another after dark. have fun!

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Viejo VS Tamarindo

Yes, driving is easy here. Many people rent cars to explore the differernt areas. As Gecko says, just obey traffic laws and don't drive after dark.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Viejo VS Tamarindo

Tamarindo to Puerto Viejo? Hmmmm ... I think it is kind of apples to oranges. You might want to check out http://www.PuertoViejoSatellite.com and see if it is for you. Puerto Viejo is not for everyone and it is your vacation. You deserve to get exactly what you want. Cheers, Colin.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Viejo VS Tamarindo

If you are planning to go to Tamrindo and Arenal, Liberia is better option, for Puerto Viejo and Arenal, SJO would be a better choice, usually cheaper fares too.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Viejo VS Tamarindo

Having just driven from Tamarindo to puerto viejo I can tell you it is a long hard drive and you have to be willing to be stuck behind trucks crawling uphill at 20k/hr and make quick decisions to pass vehicles on narrow winding roads. I don't mind it but its not everyone's cup of tea.

PV is very rustic, basic with less amenities than Tamarindo, which is your basic surfers town The food is better in PV in my opinion because if the Caribbean influence. Both are very laid back but with a different vibe.

If you can stay at the Volcano lodge in La Fortuna area. Excellent hotel reasonable price and great food in the restaurant. Zip lining, hanging bridges etc all good experiences.

Have fun!

9. Re: Puerto Viejo VS Tamarindo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 21, 2014