We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Puerto Viejo - need transportation advice

Florida
Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Puerto Viejo - need transportation advice

This is our first time to Costa Rica, staying in Puerto Viejo. We should be arriving around 12 noon in San Jose (if all goes as schedule). I did see that Paos is the only one with a location in Puerto Viejo. Though my boyfriend wants to rent a car in San Jose and drive in, I was hoping for a service to take us to make it a little more relaxing (though I notice the rates can be outrageous for private service). Does anyone know if Paos car rental has a deal to pick us up at airport and drive us to Puerto Viego, pick up car in Puerto Viego and then return car to San Jose? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm very excited about going to Costa Rica but a bit nervous about us driving from the airport to the hotel being it's our first time there. Thanks again for any help you can give.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,307 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Puerto Viejo - need transportation advice

If you drive during day light and observe speed limits and driving distances...everything is going to be OK...of course a lot of common sense...as is a kind of different road to drive...a lot of heavy equipment...tractor trailers a lot of them...some rain...but overall it is a great drive...

Just rent a car and hit the road...hopefullly with a GPS...

roadadvisor

Paola, Ks
Level Contributor
54 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Puerto Viejo - need transportation advice

Here is the way we did it and it worked great. We used a Pacuare river rafting trip as our transportation towards the coast. The day you arrive in San Jose stay someplace there and see the sights. Then for the next morning have arranged with a rafting company to be picked at your hotel and taken to the Pacuare river. They can handle your luggage for you. Then after a pretty full day of fantastic rafting adventure they will transfer you by bus to your place in the Puerto Viejo area. Then the next morning Poas rental car brings you your rental car to your hotel. They will even loan you a cooler to use. When you are done you can have them pick it up from your hotel in PVif you transfer back to SJ, or drive to SJ and drop it off there. Either way. It was awesome, check it out.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Puerto Viejo - need transportation advice

You should be fine with a car rental driving to Puerto Viejo when you arrive, it should be a 4-5 hour drive depending on traffic. A cheap option to travel there would be to stay in San Jose your first night and then use a shared shuttle bus transfer to Puerto Viejo the following day however I would rather spend one more day at the beach.

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Puerto Viejo - need transportation advice

The idea of rafting plus onward transportation is good but would not work the same day. i would contact Poas to see what is possible and you will also most likely get a better deal if you make the reservation on-line, compared to dealing with the office in Hone Creek.

Paola, Ks
Level Contributor
54 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Puerto Viejo - need transportation advice

Really, you can do it as I said. We did it in 2010. Day one, arrive San Jose and stayed at Grano de Oro Hotel. Day two, Exploradores Outdoors (www.exploradoresoutdoors.com) picked us up at the hotel for transfer to the river. They took care of our luggage while we did the river raft trip. After we got off the river we went to their compound to shower and change. Then they took everyone by bus to the coast. The bus went south along the coast dropping people off at their hotels all along the way. We were about last off the bus because we stayed at Korrigan Lodge and most of the others were staying north of there. Day three, Poas Rental Car dropped off our rental car there at Korrigan lodge from their location at Hone Creek. We signed the paperwork on the hood of the car while parked at Korrigan. We stayed at three different places around the Puerto Viejo area ending up at Totem Hotel where Poas came to pick up their car. Yes, you can make all the reservations well ahead of time online.

Florida
Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Puerto Viejo - need transportation advice

Thanks for your suggestions. Gives me something to think about and look into.

Gotta love this forum for information and helpfulness!

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Puerto Viejo - need transportation advice

We are coming for the first time too. We can get a flight that lands at 1:30 in San Jose, and hopefully catch the shuttle to PV that leaves at 3...or is that cutting it too close?

We are trying to go pretty low budget, so saving an extra night hotel bill will help a lot.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Puerto Viejo - need transportation advice

It might be cutting it close - but probably OK.

Average amount of time getting out of the airport is 1 hour. It could be less depending on several factors: how many other planes are landing at the same time, whether you have only carryon or checked luggage, how close to the front of the plane you will be sitting.

You exit the plane and go downstairs for passport control. Then on to baggage and from there, through xray machines at customs and then you are done. As you exit the airport, nice gentlemen will say "Taxi?" and you say yes. Get your taxi and head for whatever pickup point you have chosen.

You can catch the Interbus shuttle at their HQ or at one of the hotels near the airport - Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express - which are about 5 minutes from the airport.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Puerto Viejo - need transportation advice

You can also take the last pubic bus to PV at 4 pm.

10. Re: First time to Puerto Viejo - need transportation advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, September 23, 2011