We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with customs

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Help with customs

Hi all,

Pardon my ignorance on this, but our CR trip will be my first one out of the country since I was a kid and I'm trying to figure out how the customs/immigration thing works. Can someone walk me through it?

We're going from Toronto to Miami to San Jose. So...do we go through customs at all three airports? I'm pretty sure we have to go through US customs in Toronto. But then when we get to the US do we go through it again? Or would we go through CR customs there or not go through those until we get to CR? We only have a little over an hour connection time at Miami airport which is concerning me a bit. I'm confused! Anyone a little more seasoned with some input? Thanks so much!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with customs

You will clear US Customs and Immigration in Toronto, which will allow you to change planes/airlines in Maimi without any further ado. If Maimi is just a stop and not a plane change, you may not clear US C&I in Toronto, but I rather doubt it.

On arrival in CR, you will clear Customs and Immigration there. It fast and easy, but they will x-ray your bags to be sure you're not smuggling anything in.

On return, you may will most likely clear US Customs and Immigration in Miami airport. I haven't cleared through Maimi, so I don't know their setup. Some airports route connecting passengers on special routes so you can't leave the secured area. It depends on the airport and airline. (I had to clear UK Customs and Immigration to take a conneting flight to Greece, where I again cleared Customs and Immigration.)

I suggest you check with your carrier and ask what the procedures will be as they can vary even by terminal within an airport. Airport security can change things unexpectedly as well. Allow time between flights. Maimi's a big airport.

Hope you get better info.