We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel/Bungalow/Room on pretty beach in Pueto Viejo Area?

Vermont
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel/Bungalow/Room on pretty beach in Pueto Viejo Area?

Hi there,

My friend and I have just one criteria...and that is to stay in a place that is on the beach. We just love the idea of stepping from room to beach. We were hoping to stay at Banana Azul, but they are fully booked in March. Can anyone recommend another place in the PV area that is on the beach? We'd love the ideal of course...pristine, white sand, turquoise water, calm to swim & snorkel...and cabana boys handing us Mojitos (just kidding...kinda!).

Thanks

NY
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel/Bungalow/Room on pretty beach in Pueto Viejo Area?

How are you getting from San Jose to PV?

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel/Bungalow/Room on pretty beach in Pueto Viejo Area?

www.pachamamacaribe.com Punta Uva

good as it gets.

most Carib beaches brown black area rustic

PV town sort of druggy dodgy dirty forget about pristine and visions of cabana boys those are in the

luxury lodgings on the Pacific side of CR.Beaches still aren.t real white.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
883 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel/Bungalow/Room on pretty beach in Pueto Viejo Area?

Check Cariblue or Las Palmas. Both are on a beautiful white sand beach area, but both are south of PV. If you have your on car, it is not a problem. Both also have air conditioned rooms.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel/Bungalow/Room on pretty beach in Pueto Viejo Area?

There is not too many hotels in Puerto Viejo right on the beach.

The Agapi and Arrecife are probably your 2 best options, However there are some great Caribbean style hotels/bungalows within a couple of minutes walk to beach. Of all the options I like La Costa de Papito in Playa Cocles, just South of town,across the road from beach, and the brand new small 4 bungalow hotel in Punta Uva called Korrigan Lodge, the later is set in the jungle, but a 5 minute walk to Punta Uva beach, one of the most beautiful beaches on the Caribbean Coast.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
87 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel/Bungalow/Room on pretty beach in Pueto Viejo Area?

I also recommend Pachamama. It's not right on the beach, but you can get to the beach in about two minutes on their bikes, and the beach is the Punta Uva beach, a great Costa Rican beach. There is a bar about 50 paces off the beach, though they weren't serving Mojitos the day I was there. They did have a good margarita, and my daughter loved her banana smoothie. Some of the other Puerto Viejo beaches are too rough for swimming and wading.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
87 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel/Bungalow/Room on pretty beach in Pueto Viejo Area?

I also recommend Pachamama. It's not right on the beach, but you can get to the beach in about two minutes on their bikes, and the beach is the Punta Uva beach, a great Costa Rican beach. There is a bar about 50 paces off the beach, though they weren't serving Mojitos the day I was there. They did have a good margarita, and my daughter loved her banana smoothie. Some of the other Puerto Viejo beaches are too rough for swimming and wading. I also understand it's the best in the area for snorkeling, but not during the January week I was there.

Victoria Texas
Level Contributor
392 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel/Bungalow/Room on pretty beach in Pueto Viejo Area?

I don't know if you're gonna get right "on the beach" but I'd ditto Pachamama from what we saw when we were there. We stayed up on the mountain at a private house in January and the breezes were most welcome. We also spent a couple of days at Cabinas Malu in Cahuita, it's across the street from the beach (not white sand....more dark colored) and a beautiful setting. It's about a 2 minute walk to beach. Cahuita seems to kind of get a bad rap (petty crime, dope, random violence), but we saw nothing that made us uncomfortable. We didn't roam around in "altered states" or late at night, but it just seemed way laid back to me. It's smaller than PV, seemed a slower vibe, more RastaCaribe (my word), and great restaurants. Everything seemed closer and more compact in Cahuita and way more walk/bike friendly.

Vermont
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel/Bungalow/Room on pretty beach in Pueto Viejo Area?

Thank you so much everyone - really appreciate it. We're expanding our horizons now to anywhere in Costa Rica that meets the criteria, but will definitely check out your recommendations first. Thank you!

9. Re: Hotel/Bungalow/Room on pretty beach in Pueto Viejo Area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, August 11, 2009