We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some sound advice and truth about Puerto Viejo, PLEASE

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need some sound advice and truth about Puerto Viejo, PLEASE

Hello, everyone!

I searched through messages and although I did get some of my answers, I wondered if someone/ones could tell me the truth regarding Puerto Viejo. There are so many mixed reviews! My husband and I are visiting CR in mid-February and are looking to get a way from the Tourist Traps and luxury resorts, so we are considering Puerto Viejo to have a relaxing vacation and actually "feel" like we are in authentic CR. We are nature loving, laid-back people who want to be as close to wild-life as possible. I would love to stay somewhere, where it would be quite possible to see monkeys or sloths...any animals from our lodge balcony. However, we want to feel that we can leave our lodge on a bike and not feel threatened. I read on a forum on Frommer's that tourists are getting mugged and killed there....that it used to be safe, but, second generation locals do not hesitate to cause serious harm to tourists. We are very open-minded....I can't stand it when people are judged based on color...or any stereotypical B.S for that matter, and do not mind it if there are bugs in my room....I like bugs :. I understand that you have to be smart with personal belongings, EVERYWHERE, but, it is the writings of physical danger that I am a bit worried about. Can someone respond that has been there RECENTLY...someone who is a like-minded traveler?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
189 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Need some sound advice and truth about Puerto Viejo, PLEASE

Just got back from three nights in PV and loved it! Def. much more then MA, and plan no visiting PV for a lot longer the next trip. I didn't visit the other beaches but Cahuita, Cocles, and Manzanillo were beautiful and seemed safe to me. I was with my husband the whole time, but saw a lot of women lying on the beach by themselves. I felt safe leaving our bag on the beach while we swam but we used common sense, didn't stray to far and didn't have anything of value in the bag, just a few dollars.

I felt safer on this beach then I did in MA, and much more comfortable.

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
32. Re: Need some sound advice and truth about Puerto Viejo, PLEASE

Many thanks to all of you visitors who are taking the time to post your actual, eye witness experiences of this very special place.

Those stories don't sell newspapers or cause threads to become the primary focus of a forum for weeks on end, but it's nice to have a balance.

What's interesting is that a thread with the subject "Puerto Viejo Unsafe!" will generate 50 responses, yet the one I posted about actual stats showing PV beaches to be safest in the country ("...Puerto Viejo...Country's Safest Beach Area...") ?

0 (zero) responses.

Those newspaper editors know what they're doing!

Thanks again for taking the time...

;^)

33. Re: Need some sound advice and truth about Puerto Viejo, PLEASE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, October 04, 2009