We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Viejo with a 1 year old - where to stay?

Los Angeles
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Puerto Viejo with a 1 year old - where to stay?

We are hoping to visit PV with our then to be 16 month old little girl in Mid November. We've been to the pacific side so we though the caribbean side would be a nice trip and hopefully still fun for the baby. She's crazy about birds and animals that's why we chose costa rica. With the baby I am worried that the heat and humidity might be tough so I'm hoping to find a place to stay that has a/c and a pool. She loves swimming in pools but is a bit afraid of swimming in the ocean. I don't know if A/C is a must in November but I think we are stuck on having access to a pool. It would be nice to have a refigerator too since we need milk and food for the baby. WE can get by with bringing a cooler with us though. We will have an SUV for transportation. Any ideas on where to stay??

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Viejo with a 1 year old - where to stay?

Caribbean side's very different from the Pacific side - and not kid proof for very young children by any North American standards. But the closest I would recommend is Cariblue - nice pool w/wet bar, secure, nicely landscaped grounds, restaurant, breezy bungalows. Forget the AC, you won't need it in Nov and the moist ocean air will be good for her as opposed to closed up in AC anyway. Mid Nov the seas start picking as we move into surf season - you'll probably want to hang on the beach but have her swim in the pool instead. Playa Cocles, where Cariblue is at, has rip tides, Punta Uva is safer for swimming but will probably still be choppy in mid Nov.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Punta Uva
Punta Uva
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
Los Angeles
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Viejo with a 1 year old - where to stay?

Thanks for the reply! We figure that going to the caribbean coast isn't for everyone, we're just hoping to be able to do it since it looks amazing to us. We are pretty adventurous but at the same time we want to make sure the baby is comfortable. If she's comfortable, everything will be smooth. If she's not then everything will be miserable! LOL! We already booked our plane tickets so we are coming to CR for sure but may be rethinking the caribbean coast. A 16 month old doesn't need much to do. Birds to look at, monkeys, swimming in a pool, playing on a beach, access to food and milk when she's hungry and a comfy, safe place to sleep. So, I guess I'm hoping for someone to say, yes, come to PV, this place has everything you need, or no, rethink your destination and go elsewher.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Viejo with a 1 year old - where to stay?

Let me tell you a little story, back in the day when my wife and I were a young couple with not too much money to go around, we would get our kids 5, 3 and 1 and would head out to San Felipe in Baja California in the middle of summer, thats 115 degrees, humid arid dessert with a beach, we had ac rooms to sleep comfortably, we had a pool and a warm ocean at our door steps. Guess what? our kids still remember the good times we had there. they are now 31, 29, and 25.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Viejo with a 1 year old - where to stay?

Ha, we go to san felipe every year but we usually go in the better weather. There are way too many fun things to do here in the middle of summer. Our daughter's first trip to san felip was when she was 4 months old. We rented a house on the beach 20 minutes from town in Percebu. It's awesome down there!!!

5. Re: Puerto Viejo with a 1 year old - where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:23 am, October 09, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...