We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is my itinerary OK?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is my itinerary OK?

Hello.

I am new to the Costa Rica forums but have been using tripadvisor forums for many years. I ma a huge Tripadvisor fan!!

My wife and I are planning a trip to Costa Rica for approx. 14 days. There are so many great places to see. It really looks like a beautiful country and we want to experience as much as possible without feeling rushed.

My tentative itinerary is fly in to San Jose, then 3 nights in La Fortuna, 4 nights in Manuel Antonio and 6 nights in Puerto Viejo. We are beach people and have been to Jamaica many times. That is one reason we would like to end the trip with the time at Puerto Viejo.

Do you think that is too much to do in one trip? In what order do you think we should go? We are not sure how to get from one destination to another. Should we rent a car or jeep? Is it expensive to do that? We have a lot of experience driving in third world countries and we both speak Spanish, my wife fluently.

Or should we take the bus to some destinations or hire a car to drive us and then maybe rent a car at each destination or rely on taxis?

Thanks for all your help and advice. We are very excited about our coming trip. We are planning either May or July. Which month do you think would be a better time to come and why?

Thanks, KMAN

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Province of Limon, Costa Rica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is my itinerary OK?

I don't think you're trying to do too much. I would add a day to Fortuna, and decrease a day in PV. Not because I don't love PV, but because there's a lot to do in the Arenal area and you will also have 2 other beach destinations. I'd go to MA first, then Fortuna, then PV. We always use a combination of Interbus and Sansa or Nature Air, but are renting a car next trip. Car rental isn't cheap there, but a friend who's visited about 15 times swears by Tricolor, so it doesn't hurt to get some quotes and then decide. Since you have experience with that I'd think that would be your best bet. May is typically a very rainy month in PV, but we've been there in May and it was gorgeous. It was also wonderful in May in Fortuna and had clear view of the volcano. Of course there are no guarantees!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is my itinerary OK?

Thanks Travelicious. Love your name! I appreciate your comments. Are June or July a better months to go than May? Why do you suggest MA first?

KMAN

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is my itinerary OK?

I suggest MA first because you said you wanted to end up on PV and this way you'll be doing a loop. About 4 hours San Jose to MA, 5 from MA to Fortuna and 5-6 from Fortuna to PV and 4-5 from PV to San Jose.

This is a good site to help calculate driving distances:

http://www.yourtravelmap.com/

And this one can help give you and IDEA of the average rainfall:

http://costa-rica-guide.com/

You kind of just have to choose a month and go for it as the Caribbean patterns are different than the Pacific and Central.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is my itinerary OK?

what are your travel dates kman?

5. Re: Is my itinerary OK?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 pm, October 01, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...