We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Uva Where To Stay (+1 yr old) Casa Viva or Itaita?

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
3 posts
Save Topic
Punta Uva Where To Stay (+1 yr old) Casa Viva or Itaita?

Hello Everyone,

I'd appreciate some input from all you so wonderful CR lovers.

My husband (quintessential beach bum)and I are heading down to CR Caribbean side in august with our 1yr old son.

We're quiet not too touristy beach lovers (had our honeymoon in Anguilla best time hopefully CR will be more :-)

Based on all my research we've decided to start out at Congo Bongo in Manzanillo for 3 nights. We wanted to take a trip to the Punta Mona Farm which looks like a lovely sustainable set-up we would enjoy (we try to live green).

And then finish off with another 3 nights in Punta Uva.

Pachamama, our first choice of a place to stay in Punta Uva which fits our budget, breakfast included, close to beach, nice owners etc is unfortunately full.

Our 2 choices now Casa Viva which is just little over budget and no breakfast(important for hubby)but appear to be closer to beach and Itaita which is within budget and has breakfast included but not so close to beach as Casa Viva and Casa V appears a little fancier.

Child safety is important, overall I think we'll do fine, I'm orginally from West Africa and I carry my son everywhere on my back here in New York (sometimes on bikes too) he plays in the dirt all the time and is always exploring something, I'd like to think our boy has a native edge and can survive "going native or tribal". My American husband however needs a little more assurance and some comfort.

Any insights will be appreciated.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Uva Where To Stay (+1 yr old) Casa Viva or Itaita?

By local standards, Casa Viva is expensive, but when you see it and where it is located, you will understand why.

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Uva Where To Stay (+1 yr old) Casa Viva or Itaita?

lol, sounds like your son "Mogley" will do just fine. Nothing is truly child safe around here by North American standards, though, so you just have to use common sense. (It's also part of the reason why local kids here aren't neurotic or need to see therapists and other nonsense)

If he likes to play in the dirt, he'll love Costa Rican dirt - plenty of nutrients (and ants that look like Grizzly bears and bite like hell) but possibly some new things to immunize him with ;^) Gotta use common sense there too. It takes time for the system to adjust to new invisible critters ;^)

Funny, now that they've "discovered" that soil organisms are actually good for you and a vital part of a child's natural immunization process, you can buy them in pill form in the health food stores, lol! First there was bottled water, now bottled dirt!

"going tribal" is probably just what the doctor ordered. I remember when my kids first got here, they were running around the beach, sand head to toe, chasing crabs, playing futbol with coconuts, carrying bamboo spears. Looked like something from Lord of the Flies. But they never looked healthier. Good stuff.

¡Buen viaje!

-Hatch

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,276 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Uva Where To Stay (+1 yr old) Casa Viva or Itaita?

ARRECIFES is a very simple place...just steps away from the ocean...it is a typical "cabinas" that were builded in my country many years ago...they were good enough for us...for some tourist they are not good...good price...

Itaita...you are correct they are a little just a little far from the nice beach...I stayed there several times my 7 year old and my 4 year old...just love them!!

Luis Road Advisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

New York
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Uva Where To Stay (+1 yr old) Casa Viva or Itaita?

Colinsito thanks for your comments, were going with Casa Viva.

Roadadivosr, I did try to get in touch with ARRECIFES but their site was down.

Carribean Hatch, thanks a lot for your comments, and yes he is a Mowgli alright, his favorite animal sound is monkeys lol, he's looking forward to the CR dirt for sure and will probably chase crabs with your kids :-) and play coconut football (did I mention he's a little soccer hooligan like his momma :-)

Counting the days...

5. Re: Punta Uva Where To Stay (+1 yr old) Casa Viva or Itaita?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, October 05, 2009