We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bocas del Toro v. Puerto Viejo

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
23 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Bocas del Toro v. Puerto Viejo

I'm planning my honeymoon and after a few days up at Arenal and a night on the Pacuare River, I think we are going to just head on down the Caribbean Coast to Puerto Viejo. I've got three nights to spend before flying back up to San Jose.

I was thinking about staying at Banana Azul in the Honeymoon Suite for the first night and then heading to the Garden of Eden at Bocas del Toro for two nights. Then I can just take the afternoon flight back to San Jose. Does anyone think that is too much traveling? I'm just looking for recommendations at this point! Thanks!

Neenah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
302 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bocas del Toro v. Puerto Viejo

Too much travel! You are going to have to pack up 4 times in a week? This is a honeymoon? I recommend 2 or at most 3 places in this short time frame. You are gonna be tired after the wedding, and even if it weren't a honeymoon, you'd never be able to relax and enjoy.

Of the places you've mentioned, I've only been to Arenal. It sounds like you want to see a lot-don't blame you. We've just returned and already want to go back. Plan on returning in years ahead to see more. In depth is better.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bocas del Toro v. Puerto Viejo

Too much travelling and not enough time to include Bocas del Toro this time and get a feel for everything. Stick Arenal and PV and you'll have a great trip! Banana Azul is a GREAT place. We loved it there. Make sure you get the Howler Suite. ;)

Level Contributor
173 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bocas del Toro v. Puerto Viejo

I agree, even though both PV and Bocas are 2 of my favorite places you just don't have enough time to do Bocas. I'd do the raft trip then spend 3 days in PV before going back to SJ.

Ferndale, MI
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bocas del Toro v. Puerto Viejo

It'll take a few hours to get to Bocas from PV. Although I loved Bocas, I would only go if you can stay there for a few days at least. The islands themselves are just so-so. The best part of Bocas is getting off the islands - doing boat tours. If you spend your first day traveling, you're only leaving yourself 1 day to explore off the island. And that's pretty risky considering how much it rains in Bocas. I don't know - if I were you I'd stick to PV.

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
23 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bocas del Toro v. Puerto Viejo

Thanks ya'll. I've gotten to the point where I think I'm going to spend the first two nights in Arenal, the third night at a jungle lodge on the Pacuare, and, then, either three nights in Puerto Viejo or three nights in Bocas.

My fiance really, really likes the reviews and pool at the "Garden of Eden" in Bocas which is out on its own island, but I really like all the opportunities for adventure and nightlife around Puerto Viejo. It's a tough call. The nice thing about Bocas is being able to catch a flight back to San Jose the last afternoon. If I decide on Puerto Viejo, I'd have to take the four hour bus ride back on Saturday evening or early Sunday morning. My flight leaves at noon on Sunday.

6. Re: Bocas del Toro v. Puerto Viejo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, September 15, 2009