We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Places to eat at or Avoid, near or south of Puerto Viejo

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Any Places to eat at or Avoid, near or south of Puerto Viejo

I will be Staying at La costa de papito in May .. and im looking to eat some of the good local cuisine,

Lunch or dinner, road side shack, or sit down place...any helpful advice.

Also:

did anyone buy supplies from the local stores,

such as water beer and food, ice?... (should I)

Lund, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Any Places to eat at or Avoid, near or south of Puerto Viejo

I would recommend Soda Miss Sam's for cheap but very good local food, Lidias next door is very good too. These you will find on the backstreets inside P.V. just ask someone and they will show you the way! Another good thing is that these people are actually ticos, good to suport the locals!

There is a big foodstore in PV and several small ones on the way to Manzanillo. Here you can find almost everything you need, no problems. There are also good liqurshops in PV.

You dident ask this but if you go to a restaurant in almost all cases the ice is made of bottled water (this goes for Sam and Lidias aswell) so no worries there!

Enjoy

macon, ga
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Any Places to eat at or Avoid, near or south of Puerto Viejo

Just got back from a week in Puerto Viejo, I dont know if there is a bad place to eat in the whole town. Every time we went out, we tried a different place, and it was hard because after every meal we said we just had to come back to that particular place. Browns, Stanfords, La Mariposa all had great food, a block or so off the main drag is another great place, Lidias Place. Recommend all of them.

As for the money, we not only found out that some, not all, always found an excuse not to let us use our credit card, but you will get by cheaper if you pay cash. Seems they all want to pass on the charge the banks, credit card companys, etc charge them to accept the card-seriously, you will save money by going to the ATM, it will give you local currency, or Dollars, which are accepted everywhere.

The ATM has a habit of going down a lot, but go 2 doors down to the ssuper mercado (gorcery store) or accross the street and grab a coke or water. It's usually up and working again in 15 to 20 minutes. We checked our statement, and were charges a total of $3.50 for the withdrawals, thats less than the 9% some places want to tack onto the bill to pay by Visa, and if you have MasterCard, forget it. Best leave that one at home for some reason.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
209 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Any Places to eat at or Avoid, near or south of Puerto Viejo

Yeah, I know what you mean about Mastercard. That is over the past couple of years though. I was told by a local merchant in Guapiles that Mastercard is very slow with payment to merchants, so it is not a favored card. We are heading back to CR on saturday for a few weeks.

Toronto
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Any Places to eat at or Avoid, near or south of Puerto Viejo

When you talk about using cash is it American dollars or is it the local dollars.

15. Re: Any Places to eat at or Avoid, near or south of Puerto Viejo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, August 15, 2009