We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sloth Sanctuary Excursion??

Stone Harbor, NJ
9 posts
Save Topic
Sloth Sanctuary Excursion??

Hi,

I will be in Puerto Limon for 1 day in late Nov as a stop on a cruise. It will be me and my sister (18 and 28) and our parents (mid 50s.) We are all pretty active and enjoy animals.

Has anyone ever done this sloth sactuary tour?

puertolimon.net/shore-excursions/slothsanctu…

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks :)

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Limon
Puerto Limon
Province of Limon, Costa Rica
Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sloth Sanctuary Excursion??

The Sloth Santuary is a nice tour, I think you would enjoy the Tortuguero canal tour more, a good chance to see animals in the wild in a incredible bio-diverse area.

Mentioned in this post
Tortuguero Canal
Tortuguero Canal
322 Reviews
Puerto Limon, Costa Rica
Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sloth Sanctuary Excursion??

Hi,

The sloth center is sweet and special, but after one hour there is nothing much to do there.

The tortuguero canal tour, so much better, and a great experience!

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

3. Re: Sloth Sanctuary Excursion??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, October 13, 2009
Stone Harbor, NJ
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sloth Sanctuary Excursion??

Thanks so much for the replys! I had heard the sloth sanctuary itself didn't take up too much time...thats why I was inquiring about the tour, where you go canoing, visit a banana plantation and take a rainforest walk. It also provides lunch and transportation to and from the pier. It sounds as if you guys think we are better off taking a taxi and visiting things on our own? Or has anyone ever done the actual tour???

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sloth Sanctuary Excursion??

I haven't done the kayaking part of the tour. I did tour the facilities visiting all the sloths and learning about them and walk the grounds (I assume this is what they mean by "rainforest" walk). The walk is nice and the sloth rescue center itself is cool, however, if you have the option of Tortuguero canals I'd definitely choose that over the sloth rescue center.

Mentioned in this post
Tortuguero
Tortuguero
St. albert,Alberta
Level Contributor
920 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sloth Sanctuary Excursion??

You might also consider the animal refuge between Puerto Viejo and Manzanillo. All different kinds of animals...howler monkeys, snakes, possums, frogs, sloths, etc....very educational and less expensive than the sloth sanctuary.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Victoria Texas
Level Contributor
392 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sloth Sanctuary Excursion??

I'd offer a firm vote for the Jaguar Rescue Center between Puerto Viejo and Manzanillo. We were just there week before last and it was great. We did the Sloth Rescue Center (Aviarios del Caribe) in January and, though we saw a lot of sloths, it's a relatively big operation and we kinda felt overlooked when the busload of German tourists came and we couldn't even seem to get anyone to show us around. Didn't really need a guide, but it woulda been nice for someone to point stuff out. They most definitely do good works there rescuing animals, but Jaguar Center does the same kind of work and way more personal attention. At Jaguar you get up close and personal with a bunch of rescued baby monkeys, get to hold a baby sloth, they got a good collection of Costa Rican snakes, and quite a few other endemic species of mammals and birds. If you have more time, I'd do the preserve trail at Cahuita (supposedly good snorkeling there too) and see a bunch more wildlife in a beautiful setting.

I'll have full trip report in a day or two, but laundry and catching up with two weeks of emails calls first.

I don't know if the Jaguar center has a website, but just search for Jaguar Rescue Center in Puerto Viejo and there's several articles.

Enjoy your trip (and don't leave anything unattended on the beach......you'll understand this when I finally get my trip report written)

Joe

Mentioned in this post
Cahuita
Cahuita
8. Re: Sloth Sanctuary Excursion??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, November 23, 2009
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
53 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sloth Sanctuary Excursion??

Hello meemers81,

We have been to the sloth sanctuary several times, and I have to say that I have seen the sight of baby sloths bring tears to grown men's eyes. We took the boat tour the first time we went. The guide was very knowledgeable and we saw quite a bit of wildlife that we probably would not have seen without the guide. As I recall the tour was a bit expensive though, but the proceeds are going to a good cause. I would recommend a visit to the sloth sanctuary with or without the tour.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
53 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sloth Sanctuary Excursion??

Hello meemers81,

We have been to the sloth sanctuary several times, and I have to say that I have seen the sight of baby sloths bring tears to grown men's eyes. We took the boat tour the first time we went. The guide was very knowledgeable and we saw quite a bit of wildlife that we probably would not have seen without the guide. As I recall the tour was a bit expensive though, but the proceeds are going to a good cause. I would recommend a visit to the sloth sanctuary with or without the tour.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Limon