We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oscar Brown Tours

Toronto
6 posts
Save Topic
Oscar Brown Tours

Hi there,

My husband and I are taking our honeymoon on a Royal Carribean Cruise next week and we're thinking of booking a Canopy Tour through Oscar Brown tours when we port in Limon. Any advice on this? Good idea or should we book through the ship ??

Any advice will be much appreciated!!!

Tks!!

Shannon

PA
Level Contributor
399 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oscar Brown Tours

On our first cruise we booked thru the ship and learned our lesson. Never book thru the ship unless it is a specialty excursion or a real matter of safety. When we stopped in Costa Rica we negotiated a fabulous day trip at the pier that was a real highlight of our trip. I remember reading about Oscar Brown on the Cruisecritic website and alot of people were using him. Make sure you see the banana plantation. They were amazing.

PA
Level Contributor
399 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oscar Brown Tours

O forgot to say, when going on a ship excursion, you spend at least 1/3 more for the excursion and you do alot of waiting around because of all the people. On your own, or with a smaller group, it will be more personalized and you can do a few extras if you want.

Toronto
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oscar Brown Tours

Thanks Larie! This too is our first cruise and we've been looking for opinions from people who have used tour operators outside of the ship. I think we'll take your advice and book on our own.

Tks !!

PA
Level Contributor
399 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oscar Brown Tours

If I remember this port correctly, once you walk off the ship and then the pier all the tour operators will be grouped together on the pavement. Remember, everything is negotiable. There are a bunch of shops there, set up like a flea market. I love to negotiate with them. There will be some beautiful teak wood carvings. I brought back a windmill. Have fun.

Chicago, IL
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Oscar Brown Tours

Do you have a website or email address for Oscar Brown tours?

England
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oscar Brown Tours

You'll find him at http://oscarbrowntours.com/ and we're going to use him too.

Boston
Level Contributor
7 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oscar Brown Tours

We booked the zip line tour with Oscar in December 2008 when we were in Costa Rica for a day through our Royal Caribbean cruise. It was much more than we expected. Oscar was waiting for us when we got off the ship and we were taken on a bus ride through Limon making stops to look at different sites, we even stopped at his friend's house to hold his pet sloth! Then we took a canal cruise and finally ended up at the Jungle Breezes zip line tour. The zips were awesome and we stayed for a delicious lunch there afterwords. For what we thought was a few hours trip ended up being the whole day. It was the best bargain of our whole cruise! He even took us to town to get me cough medicine, coffee beans, and rum! I highly recommend Oscar to anyone looking to get a real taste for the area from a local. If you are very scheduled you will need to relax and take a deep breath because this is a casual slow-paced tour. You certainly get a much better deal than an excursion booked through the ship and it is good to give your money to the local economy.

Maryland
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Oscar Brown Tours

How did you excursion with Oscar Brown Tours turn out? We are cruising to Costa Rica late September and are thinking of booking with him as well.

England
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oscar Brown Tours

Our trip was just awesome! We even got to visit Oscar's home and met his wife Carol. It was the very best value for money trip on our whole cruise - highly recommended.

10. Re: Oscar Brown Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:31 am, January 19, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Limon