We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fare from Limon

Which Cahuita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bella Vista...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Fare from Limon

We are docking in Limon and have contacted a tour company to drive us to Cahuita National Park. They have quoted us $120 for the cab fare round trip and $30 for the hike for the two of us. I have read the thing to do is take the bus and hire a guide at the gate but this scares me a little. Is the $120 a fare price?

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fare from Limon

Take the bus, its safe and reliable, Use the extra money to book a snorkeling and hiking tour in the national park. You will even have some extra money to buy a good meal at Miss Edith in Cahuita. if you like.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,833 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fare from Limon

You can take the public bus which runs hourly but you will need to catch a taxi to the bus station. The public bus schedule can be found at http://thebusschedule.com/cr/index.php According to the bus schedule it takes 60-110 minutes to make the trip to Cahuita and 60-90 minutes on the return trip. A private driver can make it in under an hour easily. It all depends on how much you value your time waiting on the bus schedule.

Keep in mind that Cahuita is a very small village and when the cruise ships dock in Limon with thousands of passengers, the guides in Cahuita may already be booked up by the time you arrive. IMO it's better to arrange a guide in advance than to count on picking one up at the park entrance on cruise ship days.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
13,959 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fare from Limon

If not going to snorkel, Cahuita NP is easy to walk on your own, so if no guides will be available, do not hesitate to enter it. It is one only trail, flat, following the coast from Cahuita to Puerto Vargas, about 3 hrs one way (my timing, with all the stops for taking photos). Most folks just do it halfway, again about 3 hrs.

Bella Vista...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fare from Limon

Thanks everyone for your input. The tour that I contacted was allowing 1 1/2 hour for a guided tour and beach time. Now with what you all have said that doesn't seem like near enough time.

5. Re: Fare from Limon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 25, 2014