We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public bus from San Jose to Cahuita

Which Cahuita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Public bus from San Jose to Cahuita

I have been reading all the posts and information on the Internet about how to get to Cahuita. My wife and I will be visiting Cahuita in January 2014 for seven days. We will be in Costa Rica for a month. We are most excited about visiting Cahuita. But, I need a little more help.... We arrive in San Jose on a 7 AM flight. We will be taking the public bus. I have read that taxis are readily available at the airport. I have read that the bus terminal to Cauita has moved. What directions should I give the taxi driver to get to the bus terminal that serves Cahuita? Also, we have purchased bus tickets in Spanish speaking countries before. We are from the US and unfortunately are not the best Spanish speaking people(an unfortunate part of being a US citizen in our fifties). So, a little help in ensuring we purchase the correct ticket would be appreciated. Also, when we arrive back in San Jose, what hotels are close to the bus terminal? We can take a taxi to the hotel, but want a hotel close to the terminal.

Thanks for any help! Cahuita seems to be a great place and we are looking forward to experiencing all it has to offer.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public bus from San Jose to Cahuita

This map might help you: costa-rica-guide.com/travel/index.php…

Yes, there are taxis readily available at the airport. It will cost around $25 to get from the airport into San Jose.

Just tell the driver you want the bus for Cahuita and he will take you to the correct bus station.

This will also be helpful: www.puertoviejosatellite.com/transport.php

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public bus from San Jose to Cahuita

The taxi drivers know the new terminal (which isn't new unfortunately) as Don Busco. They should know it by now if you say Cahuita and Puerto Viejo. It is a tourist route so even if the ticket counter staff or driver speak no English, they will be used to people who don't speak Spanish. The bus will pull into the Cahuita bus terminal so you won't have to actually stop it.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,868 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public bus from San Jose to Cahuita

I did not have any trouble purchasing a ticket and I do not speak spanish (learning a bit now). I think it might be wise to pre purchase a ticket for January. When I took that route I bought my ticket the day before as I had been warned the bus often is full. It was indeed full the day I traveled. Nice trip with one stop for a break to use the restroom, stretch your legs or buy a snack.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public bus from San Jose to Cahuita

Thanks for the replies. It seems like this is something we can accomplish. Also, it seems that once we are in Cahuita we can explore the surrounding areas either by bike or local bus. We are sure looking forward to our trip in January to escape the freezing temperatures in Colorado!

Calgary, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Public bus from San Jose to Cahuita

Hi I'm try to book a shuttle from sanjose airport to cahuita. Is it better to book it in advance or easier to just buy it at the airport. We are arriving dec 30 at 1:30 pm in sanjose

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public bus from San Jose to Cahuita

You will need to book in advance. The shared van shuttles provide hotel-to-hotel transfers so you will need to get to a hotel near the airport -- the Holiday Inn Express is one of the pickup points and about 5 minutes from the airport. Check www.puertoviejosatellite.com for more information

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,276 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public bus from San Jose to Cahuita

NIce public bus service to Cahuiutaas well...some times as good or even better than a shared ride withn a shuttle company...some of them will stop at different hotels...take the direct bus San Jose to Cahuita...and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

roadadvisor

Calgary, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Public bus from San Jose to Cahuita

Hi I'm try to book a shuttle from sanjose airport to cahuita. Is it better to book it in advance or easier to just buy it at the airport. We are arriving dec 30 at 1:30 pm in sanjose

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public bus from San Jose to Cahuita

Eric: I answered your question. Did you miss that?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,276 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public bus from San Jose to Cahuita

Yes you need to book and buy in advance,,,try to pay once you are here...some companies will run your credit card or even charge more for flight delays,,,not nice...but that is the way they work...just common sense!

roadadvisor