We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sloth Sanctuary to Caribbeans and Chocolate

Which Cahuita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sloth Sanctuary to Caribbeans and Chocolate

We have an insiders tour ay the sloth sanctuary from 7am to 11am on a Thursday in March. We would like to go for lunch in the area after our tour and then probably catch a taxi to Caribbean coffee and Chocolate tour for 3:00. I'm not sure of all the distances or time frame we need to get over to the chocolate place. Does anyone know where we could go for a bit to eat and then taxi it to the tour after? How much would a cab ride for 6 be to get to the chocolate place? Do you think I need to pre- book a ride or are cab rides for 6 easily maintained? Thanks for any info!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,092 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sloth Sanctuary to Caribbeans and Chocolate

How are you getting to Aviarios del Caribe? You should contact that operator about providing a driver for the day. Most cabs aren't going to hold 6 people and the sloth sanctuary is 20 minutes north of town so I don't think you want to call once the tour is done. Much better to pre-book.

If you're taking the Chocolate Forest Tour south of Puerto Viejo you could stop for lunch in Cahuita or drive on another 20-30 minutes to Puerto Viejo. Lots of good places in town and many more along the road south of town. Some good options are Bread & Chocolate in PV or Jungle Love or Pita Bonita to the south, but there are many more options.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sloth Sanctuary to Caribbeans and Chocolate

I was just going to call a taxi or I guess I'd have to find a driver for 6 ahead of time! We are staying in rental house close to Banana Azul so maybe I can book a driver with Gecko adventures. I'm a lilltle worried now because I was previously told that there were taxi vans for 6!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sloth Sanctuary to Caribbeans and Chocolate

They do have minivan taxis in town, but is going to cost you around $30 each way the sanctuary, I would take the public bus.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sloth Sanctuary to Caribbeans and Chocolate

If you are booked on a tour, why not ask if the same company can arrange the two trips for you rather than get stuck in between. However, if you are staying in a rental property don't you have the time to take two different days for the tours and relax and enjoy both tours without rushing.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sloth Sanctuary to Caribbeans and Chocolate

We"re doing the sloth sanctuary independently because we decided to do the insiders tour which is 4 hrs. It isn't offered through the tour companies. The chocolate forest tour is only offered on tues and thurs at that 3:00 time without booking privately for a higher fee. On the Tuesday we already have a tour booked with Buscas tours to go on a hike/snorkel/ dolphin tour for the whole day!Our other days are already planned with either activities or a few actual "down" or " beach" days! I've planned most of our itinerary quite carefully according to our location and this is really the only one that doesn't coincide so great with timing or location! I thought the sloth sanctuary was closer to PV/ and or the Chocolate Tour! I guess I'll speak with a private driver or Gecko to facilitate the day! Thanks for all the feedback and ideas....this forum is fabulous!

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
365 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sloth Sanctuary to Caribbeans and Chocolate

Check w/ the sloth sanctuary about having lunch right there. We did this about four years ago and I remember it was delicious. They have a few lodge rooms and provide breakfast to those staying there and other meals with advance notice.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sloth Sanctuary to Caribbeans and Chocolate

Good advice...a local taxi will be cheaper than some tour operators...just compare prices...

roadadvixsor

8. Re: Sloth Sanctuary to Caribbeans and Chocolate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 06, 2014