We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safest area??

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
safest area??

We are planning a trip Feb 2012 and Costa Rica is one place we are considering. It seems affordable and lovely beaches. I was a little discouraged by the comment of the purse snatching in Cahuita. We aren't hard to please . We just want a nice beach, a clean hotel, some good restaurants and most important to be safe. Someone said they would recommend some better areas We aren't even familiar with the various areas but have heard Tamarindo mentioned alot. Is this a high tourist area?

Thanks for your input.

Puerto Viejo
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safest area??

No difference for petty crime in Tamarindo vs. Cahuita. Make sure you practice good personal security everywhere in Costa Rica and you will have a great time. I live in Puerto Viejo de Limon. It is a beautiful lowlands rainforest. Many astoundingly beautiful beaches. Tamarindo has it's appeal but the natural beauty of the Caribbean is better in my opinion. Happy Trails!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safest area??

There are many other beaches that you can consider if you think the Caribbean coast is too "dangerous." It isn't really, but that is the perception that some people have. Yes, you will need to be more aware of what you are doing than some other places, but it is not dangerous.

Some other beaches include Samara/Carillo as well as the Conchal area and Playa Hermosa near Playas del Coco.

www.nicoyapeninsula.com

www.samarabeach.com

San Lorenzo, Costa...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: safest area??

Where ever you are you should always make sure your belonings are safe.

there are so many beaches to stay .

for a great beach and activities - Manuel Antonio is best .

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safest area??

I understand why crexpert1 is so keen on Manuel Antonio because he lives nearby and is kind of "cheering for the home team." However, to say that Manuel Antonio is "best" is kind of misleading.

Manuel Antonio is one of the most popular destinations in Costa Rica - but - it really depends on what you are looking for in a beach. You can see more about the Manuel Antonio area here - www.manuelantoniopark.com

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safest area??

I think safety in costa rica has more to do with how you conduct yourself rather than where you are. If you are flashing large amounts of cash or are wearing jewelry, even small amounts, or you have an ipod on while tickling your iphone you are presenting yourself as a potential target. Also walking down dark alleys late at night will increase your chances of trouble finding you. Keep a low profile, leave all jewelry at home and be sensible about where and when you walk you will very likely be just fine.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safest area??

Cahuita is one of my favorite places. Chachacha and Sobre las Olas one of my favorite places to eat. I stay at Atlantida Lodge, but there are other options. This is the caribbean.

As for the pacific, Tamarindo is another good option. Different but it has lots of things to offer. Places to visit around there, Palo Verde and Rincon de la Vieja. In this case, you can fly in/out Liberia airport.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,434 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safest area??

Just common sense...and eveerything will be ok...almost anywhere in our country!

roadadvisor

8. Re: safest area??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, October 26, 2012