We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting here from Monteverde

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Getting here from Monteverde

Greetings

Wondering what the best route to travel to get here from Monteverde cloud forest. I can't afford a private charter, is it possible to hop on someone else's private charter?

I was thinking this I'm not sure if it's possible.

Monteverde -cab-San Jose flight- tortuga - boat to puerto viejo de talamanca ( is there a boat??)

If anyone can tell me a better way I would so appreciate it.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting here from Monteverde

So you're looking for the most direct route from Monteverde to Puerto Viejo?

Or are these the places you want to visit en-route?

I'd say get the bus from Monteverde to Arenal, stay there for a day or 2, then bus to Puerto Viejo.

www.Interbusonline.com

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
13,959 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting here from Monteverde

I recon Tortuga is short for Tortuguero. This make sense to get a cab to San Jose and fly to Tortuguer. From Tortuguero a boat will take you along the bi canal parallel to the coast to Moin, close to port town of Limon. Here you can have another cab to Puerto Viejo, or for less money, a shared shuttle service. For boat service contact Riverboat Francesca.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,833 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting here from Monteverde

The flights to Tortugeuro are all early morning so you will have to overnight in Alajuela or San Jose when coming from Monteverde and headed to Tortuguero.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting here from Monteverde

It's just not easy to get anywhere from Monteverde! Except maybe Arenal and that's 3-4 hours away.

To get to Puerto Viejo from Monteverde, you can try to find a shared van shuttle: www.anywherecostarica.com You might have to go to San Jose and get a shuttle from there.

From Arenal, there are regular shuttles to Puerto Viejo. If you want to go to Tortuguero, your best bet is to spend a couple of days in Arenal. It's easy to arrange a shuttle/boat to Tortuguero and then your lodging in Tortuguero can arrange a boat/shuttle to Puerto Viejo.

It's very difficult to get to get from Monteverde to Tortuguero.

5. Re: Getting here from Monteverde

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, May 22, 2014