We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Sarapiqui for a week or split the trip up?

Mississauga
2 posts
Save Topic
Stay in Sarapiqui for a week or split the trip up?

We are planning to stay at Selva Verde with our 17 and 20 year old kids after Christmas. Initially, we were not interested in a lot of travel and planned to stay there for a week. Upon reading reviews it seems people typically stay 3 nights or so. There seems to be a lot to do in the area but are we making a mistake by not travelling around Costa Rica a little more? There is a one day trip through the resort to Arenal to see the volcano and the falls that we would do.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Stay in Sarapiqui for a week or split the trip up?

Dont worry about driving in CR. Its easy to drive there.. I am from the US and spent 2 weeks in CR Nov 2010 during the rain season. Or as CR likes to call it the Green season. The roads you would travel on are fine. I had to 80+ year old women in the car with me and other than bumpy off road travel, there was no concern. I will however recommend that you either purchase or rent a GPS. This will take care of your worries about getting lost. Its an easy drive over to Arenal. Ours worked fantastic. Never a wrong turn and plenty of notice before our turn. The GPS even came with a book that had the short cuts marked in it and the places your talking about are all pre loaded.

Also once you get to Arenal if your going to take a tour they will pick you up right at the hotel. We rented a 4x and only needed it for about 2 miles on the way to Monteverde...and that was only because hurricane Tomas had flooded the bridge out and we took a very interesting side trip to get to Monteverde..LOL

I also agree that you should split the time up.. There is so much to see in CR that it would be a shame not to rent a car. I purchased a pretty good map at Barnes and Nobles but I am sure you can get a great map once in CR.

12. Re: Stay in Sarapiqui for a week or split the trip up?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, December 26, 2012