We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Selva Biological Station

Vermont
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
La Selva Biological Station

Has anyone stayed there recently and could you tell me more about it? How many days would you recommend?

Also, is there public transportation or would it be possible to hire a driver to get from there to La Fortuna? How long would that take?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Selva Biological Station

You can take the public bus from La Fortuna to Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui and then a taxi to La Selva. It takes about 3 hours from La Fortuna to Puerto Viejo. For schedule, check here: www.thebusschedule.com You will go from La Fortuna to San Carlos (also known as Ciudad Quesada) and then to Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Selva Biological Station

They have some NEW rooms...they called the new section...simple but nice...you have to walk about 10 minutes to have, breakfast, lunch or dinner...but is nice and relaxing...

From La Fortuna to La Selva maybe 2 hours...good idea in this case to hire a driver!

roadadvisor

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Selva Biological Station

It's an easy drive, and the roads are in great shape. Just rent a car--that way you can also drive yourself to other area attractions like La Tirimbina or Heliconia Island.

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Selva Biological Station

I have not been there but am planning to on my trip next year.

I originally was going to go from Arenal to Sarapiqui but the shuttle left at 6 am and It was way too early for me and according to interbusonline it only took 1&1/2 hours .

Now I am going the reverse and have a more flexible schedule.

Staying at La Selva station for a night and then heading over to Selva Verde for another night with grayline bus picking us up at 11:30 am the next day right from the hotel and arriving at La Fortuna to our hotel around 1:00 pm.

I also have names of drivers from the Sarapiqui area since I had also looked at hiring one for the transportation.

hope that helps.

Edited: 4:55 pm, June 17, 2010
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Selva Biological Station

How long to stay depends on how much you like eco-activities, wildlife sighting, that sort of thing. We stayed four nights in the area and could have stayed several more. It all depends on how long you have on your vacation in total and what your priorities are.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Selva Biological Station

If you like birds....that is a real paradise...maybe a whole week will be enough...

roadadvisor

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
343 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Selva Biological Station

I would stay minimum two nights in the area. La Selva is a great spot and in my opinion one of the best for wildlife viewing in all of Costa Rica. The rooms are a bit expensive though. If you are on a budget I would stay there one night and then maybe move to Tirimbina or Ara Ambigua. The advantage of staying at La Selva is that free access to all the trails, three meals per day and a free guided natural history walk comes with the room rate.

You could easily stay at La Selva one or two weeks and would still not get tired if you love wildlife and nature. You can hike for miles on their numerous trails into primary lowland rainforest.

8. Re: La Selva Biological Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 19, 2011