We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive from san jose

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
830 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
drive from san jose

how is the drive from the airport to Sarapiqui? Particularly after dark? I was told by one of the hotels that the ride isn't too bad (1.5 hours, all on paved roads) but want to double check.

Thanks!

Chilamate Rainforest Eco Retreat
Chilamate Rainforest Eco Retreat
#1 of 12 B&Bs / Inns in Sarapiqui
Posada Andrea Cristina
Posada Andrea Cristina
#1 of 5 B&Bs / Inns in Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui
Selva Verde Lodge
Selva Verde Lodge
#1 of 2 hotels in Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,220 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drive from san jose

The road is in good condition..but if is foggy and rainy...in some areas you may even have to stop...you will not see the road...I drive that road very often...with our vans or my tractor trailer...when is bad is bad and nasty...if you do not know the road at all...honestly do not take the chance it is a dangerous road...even worse at night!

Short drive, but mostly inside Braulio Carrillo National Park...not many people there ...just cars, trucks and buses!

roadadvisor

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
830 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drive from san jose

Thanks for getting back to me! I don't want to stay in a boring hotel near the airport, can anyone recommend an interesting area that is within an hour or so drive of SJO for my first night?

Mentioned in this post
Juan Santamaria Intl Airport
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drive from san jose

roadadvisor a professional Costa Rica driver has given you good advise not to drive at night in the country, there are nice, non-boring hotels near airport, check in have a nice dinner and head out early the next day.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
343 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drive from san jose

I would not drive that road at night. It is a good road, but leads through dense rainforest and it is often foggy and rains. It's better to stay the first night around Alajuela or San José and leave early the next morning for Sarapiquí.

Mentioned in this post
Alajuela
Alajuela
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
830 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: drive from san jose

Absolutely, I don't want to ruin my vacation with a car accident :) I've been looking into towns close to the airport, are there any with wildlife, or a few restaurants or bars? My understanding is that I won't see much wildlife until I venture out further from San Jose.

Thanks so much - I'm still early in my research so pardon my questions if they seem silly

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
6. Re: drive from san jose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 03, 2010