We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to Costa Rica:

Saranac Lake, New...
5 posts
Save Topic
First Trip to Costa Rica:

I'm planning a birding/butterflying trip to CR for late fall. I expect to be in country about 10 days and would like to limit travel to a few select locations.

I've been looking into staying at a B&B in Puerto Viejo de Sarapiquí, Heredia Province and taking day trips from there - LaSelva, the Tirimbina Rainforest Center, and Poás Volcano National Park.

If anyone has been in this region recently, birding, I'd appreciate any tips or advice.

Anyone have occassion to stay at the Posada Andrea Cristina B&B in Puerto Viejo? How about Tirimbina Lodge? Recommendations?

Also, can anyone recommend a good birding guide in the region?

As this'll be my first trip to Central America, are there any health precautions I need to take prior to and during the stay? Thanks.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,188 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to Costa Rica:

I stayed at Posada Andrea Cristina in March 2007 for several nights and loved it. Its a small lovingly landscaped property with a large number of bird species visitng onsite. The owner Alex Rodriguez is a great briding guide and took us further afield on a guided trip down the Caribbean coast. He is very involved in efforts to protect the endangered green macaw and was very helpful suggesting nearby areas to visit. Highly recommended!

Saranac Lake, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to Costa Rica:

So far, from what I've been able to gather, the Posada Andrea Cristina B&B has gotten excellent reviews from all you've stayed there.

3. Re: First Trip to Costa Rica:

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, September 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Province of Heredia
More Province of Heredia Topics