We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Altos De Eros

Long Island, NY
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Los Altos De Eros

Does anybody out there (besides the management of the hotel) have an opinion on the recent posting by the owner of Los Altos De Eros regarding the bad review they recently received? The whole point of this site is to post unbiased reviews of your trip- both positive and negative. I feel that the reviewer highlighted the positives and negatives of his stay. My bigest problem was the response of the hotel management. I think it is highly unprofessional that the owner of the hotel posted personal information about their guests (their careers and that the reviewer has a famous father) and insulted them by sharing things that they did on their trip. I don't agree with the behavior of the guests, but they were on vacation and don't deserve to have hotel management talking about them online. I am VERY disappointed by this post by the management, as I was planning to book there for my honeymoon. Based on this I can definitely say that I will NOT book now and this is the sole reason.

Mentioned in this post
Los Altos de Eros
Los Altos de Eros
756 Reviews
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Back in Costa Rica
Level Contributor
220 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Los Altos De Eros

A rival hotel owner? Well let's see, I don't own (or know of) another hotel in the Tamarindo that charges a whopping $350 a night. Jardin del Eded and Cala Luna don't even gouge like that. Just practicing my right to free speech, as are numerous other people writing in this forum. If you look at my previous posts, I think an intelligent person knows that I don't work in tourism. I'm on the computer all day, I'm gringo/tico, my email is darpathis, hmmm, where do I work? Bethca Prlijo and Josh can put 2 and 2 together.

As long as people keep rehashing this with their twisted justification for Altos unprofessional response, I'll keep bumping it back up to the top of the forum again.

22. Re: Los Altos De Eros

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:13 pm, March 07, 2007
United States
Level Contributor
9,399 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Los Altos De Eros

Wow...I think the whole nature of this thread indicates exactly why this hotel would not be for everyone. My only experience there was last year for the full spa day. It was great ...it was a 2 for 1 so my daughter and myself had a wonderful time...services and atmosphere perfect. I did have an opportunity to look around at the hotel and my reaction was that it is very beautiful but the total lack of privacy would not be for me. Just what happened that week is a perfect example...like a reality TV show...everyone knowing all about each other....eating meals like at camp...a set schedule...if that is what you like on vacation this is a beautiful spot but really important that you know in advance that you will not have privacy and you will be isolated and no guarantees with who!!!

United States
Level Contributor
9,399 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Los Altos De Eros

For those interested there is a very interesting and well written review posted Jan.22 with reference to Los Altos. I really think that this type of information is what makes Trip Advisor so valuable. Each traveler has to decide what is it that will make their trip perfect. When they described having to sit for dinner at an assigned time after such a long trip...that is unbelievable. This is more of a commune that luxury boutique hotel catering to the needs of the guests....again some might love it.

Chicago
Level Contributor
262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Los Altos De Eros

You said:

"When they described having to sit for dinner at an assigned time after such a long trip...that is unbelievable. This is more of a commune that luxury boutique hotel catering to the needs of the guests....again some might love it."

I really don't want to be dragged into this fray, but:

I stayed at Los Altos a week and a half ago. My review has been posted so you know where I stand on the place. My reason for commenting on this is the resort provides two dinners per week, included in your rate. One on Tuesday and one on Saturday. It's a small resort so these meals are at the dining room table. They start at 6:30. It's very much like attending a dinner party in someone's home. You don't show up when you want, you arrive at the time that works for the host or in this case, staff. ALL this is clear from previous reviews and if it isn't ABSOLUTELY clear, it's hinted at enough that someone who may not be interested could email the hotel directly to clarify. I emailed the owners with several questions prior to our trip to make sure I understood what the resort was about.

Like so many have said, this type of arrangement is NOT for everyone. And I understand that. If someone did 10 minutes of research they would know or have a pretty clear idea what the dining arrangement is here.

I guess my point is that there may be reasons for some to critique LAdE. But don’t complain about a fundamental component, easily learned, quite delicious part of the experience. It’s like complaining about the cookies at a Doubletree…

california
3 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Los Altos De Eros

This place is great for some and not for others. I did as much research as possible before making reservations. I personally think that it should be advertised in a different way. Los Altos is more of a couples retreat. You are constantley interacting with the other couples...Again this is to some peoples liking and not to others. Yes, they do offer a private couples dinner which is magnificent but you do have to pay for it and if you opt not to go out for dinner they offer pita chips with salsa and guacamole for $30.00. I read all of the trip advisor reviews before booking this place. I had no problem with the communal dinner offered on saturday and tuesday...but everything is communal from day activities to going into town for dinner. Now many people that have stayed at los altos seem to be defending this place as if it is there own and I think that is great but again trip advisor is meant for people to express there views on a certain place. Travelers need to do there part by researching places before they book...but the establishment needs to provide more detailed information as well. I do agree that when you enter Calvin and Jacquelin's home you are treated like a guest but lets not forget you are paying to be there. This isn't a dinner party, this is your vacation away from work, kids, and stress. I entirely agree with the recent posting "paradise with a twist". Lastly, I find the demeaning exchanges between clients and ownersphip alarming. These reviews are meant to be constructive and benefit all parties involved. By attacking and disparaging others lowers the quality and integrity of this forum. The actions of ownership have prompted a distinct element of hesitation on my part as a returning client for future reservations. Why would I subject myself to an upscale "outdoor educational field trip" setting, only to engage in a catfight exchange between supposed grown adults. That's ridiculous. There are plenty of beautiful places to go in this world. A concept that could improve the owners mindset and ways of doing business.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Los Altos De Eros

This post started off interesting, now has become educational for me. I love T.A. and have relied on T.A. reviews for many of my hotel choices. I use to just read the reviews. After reading this thread, I checked out the reviews for this hotel and looked at the personal profiles from the reviewers. Most, not all, are reviews posted by people who have not contributed to T.A. in any other way except to post a raving review of Los Altos De Eros. I understand marketing and advertising, it is my field, so I can't knock the management for getting guests to help boost their ratings. Unfortunately this has made me more skeptical about the unbias reviews and opinions from T.A.ers. For now on I will have to take it a step further when researching trips on T.A. and check out profiles as well. I do love to research trips, so this will just extend the fun. Hopefully this does not become the norm for hotel reviews.

Mentioned in this post
Los Altos de Eros
Los Altos de Eros
756 Reviews
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
New York
1 post
Save Reply
28. Re: Los Altos De Eros

I Have to say as someone who works in the travel industry, I am appalled by the replies from the management. Very childish and un professional.

I deal with many well traveled, luxury oriented clients, who expect, the best and nothing less than excellence in the services I provide for them.

As a result there those special ones that are very particular, needy, hard to please and down right impossible to deal with; and at the end of the day they have nothing positive to say about you or the services and hard work you provide.

I can see the managments frustration in regards to negative reviews, since I have deen delt some nasty blows to my ego before.

However; does that give me the green light to start posting negative remarks about every single impossible client I have ever encountered to every news letter or forum out there just because they hard to please.

NO. It does not.

If I did that, I would'nt have job. In this business dealing with the impossible clientele comes with the territory. There not one year that will pass by with out having to deal with at least one or two of the these special clients.

Posting replys about how they walked to dinner in their underwear or how they racked up your cell phone bill for an intenational call after you offered it to them; among other things, is not only unprofessional, but unethical.

It says a lot about the charcter of the management and owners who willing to sink to such a low level blog out such remarks so openly.

Regardless if they are true or not, it something that should never done. Especially if you value to gain more business in todays world

29. Re: Los Altos De Eros

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:29 pm, February 22, 2007
30. Re: Los Altos De Eros

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, August 26, 2009