We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

surfing

New Jersey
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
surfing

Going to Tamarindo this spring with 3 teenagers, one is a beginner surfer, and two are intermediate. I'm scared about letting them loose to surf because I can't save them. What is the surf like first week in April and should I stay away from certain beaches? Any help is appreciated.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
172 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: surfing

I can only speak from my experience there a couple weeks ago and from what i saw and from what people told me about the surf it never gets very big right in Tamarindo (3-4 ft at most), there are lots of people out there so you can tell where the 'safe' areas are and the places to avoid, riptides and rocks are the 2 big ones, will be where there are no surfers. I noticed there were a lot of places to rent boards, provide lessons if needed, etc. I had a great time went out a couple days and it was just right for a novice like myself. If you wanted to try other beaches, there were surf shops that did trips to other, larger wave beaches.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: surfing

Is that the waves are any time of year or just spring? They can handle 3 or 4 ft. no problem.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
172 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: surfing

From what the people at the surf shops told me the waves rarely get above 4', which makes it a very good learning and practise beach, you need to go on trips to other places along the coast in order to find larger waves.

costa rica
Level Contributor
598 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: surfing

Tamarindo is a good place to surf for beginners as the waves are regualar and never too big!

…typepad.com/tamarindo/…index.html

New Jersey
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: surfing

Thanks for the info.

6. Re: surfing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:30 am, August 26, 2009