We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to CR... Off the beaten path

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time to CR... Off the beaten path

My wife and I are headed down March 26- April 2 for our 15 year anniversary. So excited to see what looks to be a beautiful country. We are staying at the Jardin Edin

We are on the adventuresome side and are looking to see the country. Looking for a recommendation for a private driver that would give us a less touristy lay of the land. Take us to the smaller towns, so we can take in culture and such. Along with some sightseeing i.e. Volcano, monkeys etc. We are not very keen to the standard tours that can tend to be like herding cattle.

Any ideas. Thanks in advance

nebraska
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to CR... Off the beaten path

Your hotel looks great but you are going to one of the most touristy places in Costa Rica during THE busiest week of the year. Probably check with your hotel for suggestions regarding a driver but know that anything of interest will be aways away so be sure to check before reserving how long you will be traveling each day. My suggestion since you are only going to be In country a short time, enjoy hanging out in and around where you're staying and come see the "Real" Costa Rica the next time.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
158 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to CR... Off the beaten path

Curious...why is March 26 to April 2 THE busiest time of the year? We'll be in Tamarindo next week. Will it be busy then?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
483 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to CR... Off the beaten path

March 27 is Easter. Very busy time in CR, all the locals go to the beaches as well as tourists on school breaks

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
158 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to CR... Off the beaten path

Thanks Amy, that makes sense. I always lose track of when Easter falls. By the way, I notice that you are from MPLS. My son and daughter went to U of Minn. and loved the school and the city.

nebraska
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to CR... Off the beaten path

Pete, Semana Santa (Easter week starting on Mar. 24 this year is the busiest week of the year). Not only tourists but as many Ticos that can get the time off head for the beaches. Tamarindo is always popular. You'll have a great time.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
483 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to CR... Off the beaten path

It is a great city, if you can handle the winter weather!

It won't be as busy for you next week. Still some international travelers, but not as many locals. I'm jealous that you are going now in the cold part of the year! I have to wait for my kids to have school breaks so we usually can't go anywhere in Jan/Feb.

OP, there are some threads here with private driver info if you search it. I haven't used one as we usually rent a car, but it would be worth contacting some of the recommended ones to see if they are available. After Easter is over you may find some to be available.

7. Re: First time to CR... Off the beaten path

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 27, 2017
Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo