We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road from Playa Grande to Palo Verde

North Carolina
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Road from Playa Grande to Palo Verde

Am I crazy to plan for our group to drive from Playa Grande to Palo Verde for the day? And, if that is doable would someone tell me the best route to take? In looking at my map it seems we would go down to Pueblo Viejo and then over to Pto. Moreno. Help, please. It just seems like too much when we have the 4x4's already rented to pay $80 per person when there are 9 of us. Although, I am open to options. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Grande
Playa Grande
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Road from Playa Grande to Palo Verde

You are not crazy. Just know that it would be between 1 and 3 hours drive each way and one of you has to be good at navigating. We didn't have time to go to Palo Verde, just drove by it. Interestingly, I didn't even see any signs for it. So, you better have a good map and know which road you are looking for to get there (turning off in which village). When we go back to Costa Rica I would like to go to Palo Verde and I know we will not be signing up for one of those tours. If you look at the link that I posted for you earlier it outline the different approaches to the park (from 2 different sides) if you want to hike or do a boat tour (that you can arrange by yourself with a company there). I would start out early in the morning and make a whole day of it and do some hiking and a boat tour. I read that the boat tour is the best way to see the park. Look at the map and you will see the different roads and villages that are listed in that link. Here is a link to a previous post that lists where to find the boat company - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g309241-i2369-k815…

As to your other question, I might be wrong, but I think the Monkey trail has nothing to do with monkeys. It's just a name for an unpaved road or trail that is below the quality of regular unpaved roads.

By the way, if you do any tours ask for a group discount.

Since you are going to be driving on small roads in the area make sure you bring a good map. We bought the one from www.mapcr.com and it was very helpful. You can also buy a pdf file of the same map cheaper and print the portions of the map you need or get a free pdf file map, but it would not show the Monkey trail or the small roads around Palo Verde.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
North Carolina
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Road from Playa Grande to Palo Verde

travel10000.......Thanks so much. You are so great to help. I agree with you about Monkey Trail being a secondary road and a short cut. Just would like to know where it is located. Also, I have a waterproof map that seems to be pretty good I ordered from Amazon.

Now I am anxious to do some looking and reading on the web site you sent and go back to the provious posts.

Thanks again. I do think Palo Verde would be worth visiting. Just have to locate which entrance to find.

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Road from Playa Grande to Palo Verde

Why do you care where the Monkey Trail is? Where do you want to go?

For Palo Verde do you want to do the boat tour or hike or both? When are you going? Can you please post about it after you come back? Thanks!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Road from Playa Grande to Palo Verde

travel10000........Guess I am curious about the Monkey Trail because it is mentioned in so many sites about Vacation Rentals and so many posts. It must be a short route between the beaches of Guanacaste and Liberia. Must also be well traveled. Seems locals take it so must not be too bad. I want to visit Palo Verde to take the boat tour to view wildlife. From what I read, December would be a good time for that. No hiking this trip! Am looking into tours now to see just what I can find that might be cheaper than $80 per person.

Mentioned in this post
Liberia
Liberia
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Road from Playa Grande to Palo Verde

You made me curious about the Monkey Trail, so I did some web searching and came up with the folllowing:

costaricavacationrent.com/photo_gallery.htm - describes this road and shows a map, so you can compare with your map.

www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp… - someone posted how bad this road is

…nytimes.com/fodors/…

North Carolina
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Road from Playa Grande to Palo Verde

travel10000.......you are just so helpful!!!! Thanks so much. Sounds like a real "trip" but this ole lady may have to try it out. The sites you sent me to are great!

7. Re: Road from Playa Grande to Palo Verde

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, August 25, 2009