We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tamarindo private home rental safety

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tamarindo private home rental safety

Hi,

We are renting a private home in Tamarindo..December 22-27. For safety I have read one should stay in a hotel or home in a gated community. Should we be concerned about safety?

We have rented a cute bungalow between Tamarindo and Langosta.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,280 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tamarindo private home rental safety

Hmmm I wonder who may have sent you that private mesage. If the name begins with a P I would discount it. In fact I would discount it regardless. Yes you need to take the normal precautions that you would in any unfamiliar tourist area, especially at night, but thats it!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tamarindo private home rental safety

I was just thinking the same thing CanaTico.... That message you received by PM is highly suspect. I have lived in Costa Rica about 1/3 of my life. Crime happens here and there are hot spots but these are 99.9% of the time crimes of opportunity. That message you received was over the top.

If you read up in the forum about this topic you will get the same result. "Common Sense". This goes a long way and its the same common sense that should be used traveling anywhere in the world. Don't flash cash around, don't carry around expensive jewelery or gadgets. Don't leave bags unattended, etc...

You are going to be fine. Have a blast on vaca and when you get back make sure to take the time to write a trip report detailing the experience for future travelers.

Cheers

Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
827 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tamarindo private home rental safety

Rachel, the PM that you received is simply untrue. I completely agree with Steve Cameron's excellent post. Tamarindo and Costa Rica aren't perfect, but in my experience are close to it. I have owned a condo in Tamarindo since 2009, and spend several months each year there. My wife is there right now, and I will be joining her in a few days. We have never felt unsafe there, and often walk to the restaurants, shops, or clubs in the evenings without any incidents whatsoever. My sons, who are in their mid twenties, spend time there with their friends and sometimes visit the clubs into the wee hours of the morning. We all exercise common sense, keep an eye on our belongings, and don't drink stupidly or buy drugs-- the same the same as at home or during visits elsewhere in the world. Do the same and you will have a wonderful time.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Tamarindo private home rental safety

Hey, that is my dad's old house! My kids learned to swim in that pool. It is really nice and close to the beach and town. Just use common sense in Tamarindo as you would anywhere in a foreign country. Your biggest issue will be petty theft, don't leave anything unattended. The place next door is not Laguna Surf, but iguana Surf. Have fun!!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Tamarindo private home rental safety

tamarindobeach..

How wonderful. Thanks for the info. It looks like a wonderful house.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
60 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Tamarindo private home rental safety

We are going to be staying here:

https:/…

in late August 2015; we note that two recent parties who stayed there at this residence opted for night time security. I would appreciate those of you who have been to this area (as well as locals) weighing on this.

Thanks in advance!

Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Tamarindo private home rental safety

there is a group on facebook .... take a look

https:/…

pura vida and let the renter beware.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
60 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Tamarindo private home rental safety

Thanks for the pointer; that is a closed group, however, and appears to be limited to those who work and/or reside in Tamarindo.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
264 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Tamarindo private home rental safety

I spent 3 months in Tamarindo and never once had an issue. I would also walk around town well after 6 pm. Use common sense and you should be good!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
60 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Tamarindo private home rental safety

Any other comments?