We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to Costa Rica

suebeach
4 posts
Save Topic
First Time to Costa Rica

My boyfriend and I would like to visit Costa Rica in February. Is that a good time to go (as far as weather is concerned)? Also, which area should we stay in (Guanacaste or Puntarenas) that is most centrally located both for the beach and the sight-seeing? We want to do some beach relaxing but also want to do some excursions to the Monteverde and Arenal areas. Please help!!!

Thank you!

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,665 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time to Costa Rica

I wouldn;t recomend staying in Puntarenas. It's a commercial port town. DIrty streeets and poluted beaches. Definately do your beach time in Guanacaste.

Wayne, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Playa Conchal
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time to Costa Rica

I agree about the town, but the province of Puntarenas stretches all along the central and southern coast and includes popular areas of Jaco, Quepos/Manuel Anonio and Corcovado.

As far as proximity to the areas you mentioned, remember, nothing in CR is close. The mountains (that you come to see) and the road conditions (that you come to hate) make almost every excursion a long drive. Monteverde is not a day trip from anywhere. Plan on spending the night there. Its well worth it. Arenal can be a day trip, but the best volcano viewing is at night, so its also worth it to stay there.

suebeach
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time to Costa Rica

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it and it is really helpful!