We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days in Tamarindo?

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Topic
How many days in Tamarindo?

I have 10 days to spend in Costa Rica before I start working, so a friend and I were thinking of starting off in Tamarindo and driving out to Arenal or some other location afterwards.

How long do you guys suggest we spend in Tamarindo? Also, do you think I could possibly fit in another location within 10 days? I would like to know what you guys think. Thanks!

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days in Tamarindo?

How long is a piece of string?

All depends what you want to do really. 3 nights would be nice (that's what we did and really enjoyed it) though if you want more relaxation time you could kill 5 days easily. Arenal is great, 3 days there would be nice (I did 2 with mates and 3 with folks and three was definitely better, as there's a lot to do and you'd not want to be rushed).

So all kinda depends what you want to get from the holiday really? Nature, adventure, relaxation?

Might have time for a trio of Tortuguero, Arenal and Tamarindo if you didn't mind keeping active.

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days in Tamarindo?

I would say we are looking for nature/adventure, but doing things on our own time. With 10 days, we can make enough time for both places, but I wanted to see what people thought would be appropriate time to see everything.

Appreciate the feedback!

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
164 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days in Tamarindo?

DavidE171's got a good itinerary. I would do 3 days in Tamarindo, 3 days in Arenal and 3 days in Tortuguero. Leaves you with one extra day to relax.

Tortuguero is not to be missed if you've never been there.

Good Luck!

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days in Tamarindo?

Thanks for the recommendation! What do you guys think of San Jose? Is that worth a visit for a day or two?

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,950 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days in Tamarindo?

The general consensus is that there's not too much in SJ that is worth visiting. Sure, if you have some time to kill, there's a great Jade/Gold museum, you can stroll through the pedestrian zone, visit the theater, etc. but in terms of sights, it's rather slim pickings.

I don't think I would make it an itinerary point to go to San Jose except for arrival/departure.

Edited: 2:35 pm, April 07, 2014
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days in Tamarindo?

I recently spent 4 nights in San Jose and don't recommend it. I would entirely skip it if its possible. I agree with DavidE171 on spending 3 nights in Tamarindo.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days in Tamarindo?

alau

San Jose is worth an afternoon, at best. Unless you go outside the city to do the day trip (Doka coffee plantation, Grecia, Sarchi, Poas) which is a nice day.

Though to be honest, I'd still rather spend my time any where else in Costa Rica.

Chicago
Level Contributor
24 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days in Tamarindo?

Three nights in Tamarindo should be fine. A day trip to Rincon would fit it just nicely and there is a tonne of other options and of course great beaches. There is a great app if you have an iPhone called Local Knowledge Tamarindo that has some good local information.

9. Re: How many days in Tamarindo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 14, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo