We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Departure Tax

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Traverse City...
Level Contributor
448 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Departure Tax

When paying for your departure tax inadvance at the bank, do you need to have a copy of your airline ticket and passport with you or can you just go in and purchase it?

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Departure Tax

No, Snoweman - it is not included in any airline ticket, regardless of carrier. Everybody has to pay the exit tax in Costa Rica.

Even the Delta link you provided is quite clear:

International Taxes and Government or Airport-imposed fees:

Various foreign taxes, inspection fees, and security charges typically EXCLUDING AIRPORT DEPARTURE TAXES. Select countries such as the UK, France and Ghana may require additional taxes based on the cabin of service.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Departure Tax

¡You can pay it at the airport!

Chicago
Level Contributor
24 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Departure Tax

I contacted the head office of BCR about the exit tax, they say that the reason BCR in Tamarindo is no longer issuing that tax i they ran out of forms which means they will do it at some point in the future.

If arriving in Liberia, for sure go to the bank that takes the tax and you can pay it before you leave the airport. It does save one more line in Liberia on the way out

Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
55 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Departure Tax

From my experience yesterday, it would appear that the BCR is no longer doing the departure tax. At the branch in Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui they told me I now had to go to the Banco Crediito in Guapoles or pay at the airport. The cost yesterday (March 20, 2014) is $29.They have added a $2 "Escaneo e Inspeccion" fee.

You need your passport but not your ticket when paying the tax at the bank.

Yes, you can pay at the airport but make sure you have saved enough actual cash to cover it (dollars or colones) and be prepared for the extra time. The lines can be long. You need to buy it first, so you will likely be dragging your luggage along with you.

I much prefer to have it out of the way before hand. I picked mine up yesterday, in spite of having to make the trip to Guapoles, even though I don't leave until late April. I think it has a 3 month self-life.

15. Re: Departure Tax

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:33 am, March 23, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo