We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtle tours near Tamarindo

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Turtle tours near Tamarindo

I will stay in Tamarindo in the coming months and I know that soon for turtles begins the season of spawning, I would like to know where is best to go to see them and what is the best way to go.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
747 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtle tours near Tamarindo

The Las Baulas National Park will open in late October for the giant leatherback turtles. This park is accessible from the north end of Tamarindo and you must go with a guided tour. Unfortunately the depleting numbers of turtles makes this event a hit or miss. There are also the green or sometimes called the black turtles that lay on other beaches like Playa Real or Mina and once again you can go on a guided tour. There are lots of green turtles so the chances of seeing them is almost guaranteed. You will often see turtles in the water when you're out sailing or fishing too.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtle tours near Tamarindo

When you get here, ask around as to where turtles have been spotted recently...closer to the time you'll know where to go to see them. :-) Make sure to bring a flashlight or head lamp that has a RED light....you can't use a white light at night for turtle viewing. :-) Enjoy!

tamarindo
Level Contributor
5 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtle tours near Tamarindo

There is a great italian restaurant and cabinas near Playa Las Minas where you are more likely to see turtles. Finca Buena Fuente offers large apartments for families, they have a beautiful pool, and serve delicious meals from the organic produce raised on their farm. They also raise chickens and pigs! My friends and I love to go there, swim, and enjoy the beautiful evenings in a serene setting. The food is amazing. And now Livia and Luca are offering meals before or after turtle watching. While you eat dinner, their guide will search for the turtles and call when he spots one that is laying their eggs. No more wandering around in the dark until turtles appear! check out finca buena fuente on facebook or email them at www.fincabuenafuentehotel.com

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,765 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turtle tours near Tamarindo

You can also plan a overnight trip to Ostional...rent a car and drive there...better a 4x4 during the wet months...alomost every night we jhave some great arrivals...about 3.5 hours ride from Tamarindo...nice ride...

roadadvisor

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Turtle tours near Tamarindo

I'm not a tour person but this is the one exception. Turtles are sensitive to noise and light on the beach. If disturbed they will head back out to sea and come in another night...not good for them. Trained guides know how not to bother them.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turtle tours near Tamarindo

Can you advise regarding best tour companies for the turtle watching tours? Is it best to stay in Tamarindo to get these tours? We are spending a week in Playa Coco but I assume this is too far away to get the tours so are planning to move closer to see them.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turtle tours near Tamarindo

The best company I have found so far that offers turtle tours to all my guests that come and stay at my Condo here in Tamarindo is a company called Tamarindo Transfers & Tours. They have wonderful local guides that know where to go and use all of the required infrared equipment to make the very least amount of disturbance for the turtles. Also they are the cheapest if you a need a ride from the Liberia airport to Tamarindo they are only $20 per person where other companies charge $25 or $30 or even more. Here is their email reservations@tamarindoshuttle.com. Hope this helps!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turtle tours near Tamarindo

Thanks so much for all the useful info on turtle tours. Has anyone actually taken such a tour and what was the tour like?

9. Re: Turtle tours near Tamarindo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 27, 2014