We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AI or regular hotel?

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
447 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
AI or regular hotel?

We are starting to plan our November trip to Costa Rica. We plan on traveling from Arenal for 2 night stay before heading home. We want to try surfing, maybe some golf and just relax. We saw that the Barcelo hotel offers all inclusive option and would be about $220 per night. We also saw a few hotels (Diria or Jardin Del Eden) that include breakfast for about $110 - $150 per night. We are by no means foodies and my husband is a very picky eater and does not enjoy trying new foods. How much will food normally cost us around the diria or Jardin if we eat inside the hotels or around the hotels? Also, its hard to tell on googlemaps but how close are restaurants? And are these hotels in safe areas to walk around at night?

Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
743 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AI or regular hotel?

Both the Diria and Jardin del Eden are in central Tamarindo and close to everything. You will be safe walking around Tamarindo in the evenings, provided you exercise common sense. There are a wide variety of excellent restaurants in Tamarindo and you should be able to find something that pleases even a picky eater like your husband. Prices vary widely, depending on quality and reputation. I find the food at the Diria overpriced for the service and quality, typical of hotel restaurants everywhere. I haven't eaten at the Jardin del Eden but hear it is very good, although expensive. Otherwise, restaurant prices range from about half of what you would expect to pay in Canada to full, high end fare. What type of foods does he like? (I might be able to give more specific recommendations for restaurants). The Barcelo Langosta is a nice place but it is at the far south end of Langosta beach, about 1.5 km from downtown Tamarindo and you will need a cab to get downtown.

toronto
Level Contributor
447 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AI or regular hotel?

My hubby is strictly meat and potatoes. He will try any meat but once it has sauce on it he wont eat it. He won't even try new foods. So it is very important that we have a selection of more Americanaized food. Thats why I thought the AI option would be better, but its so much more expensive

Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
743 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AI or regular hotel?

For steak, I hear that the Flying Bull is excellent, although I haven't eaten there. El coconut, Patagonia and Seasons by Shlomy are all worth a try.

4. Re: AI or regular hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo