We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kolbi kiosk in Tamarindo? (data plan for sim card)

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Kolbi kiosk in Tamarindo? (data plan for sim card)

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out if there's a Kolbi kiosk in Tamarindo, where I'll be able to buy a sim card for the data plan AND have help to change the settings of my phone for the data plan, and buy the normal sim card for the use of the phone.

Thanks for your help!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Kolbi kiosk in Tamarindo? (data plan for sim card)

The easiest thing to do is contact Costa Rica Cellular Connection. Their service is fantastic, the instructions to set up your phone are crystal clear, and the cost is minimal. If you have time before you leave, they will send the SIM to your home. If not, they can send it to your hotel in Costa Rica. But that won't work if you're leaving tomorrow.

All in, including shipping, I paid less than $25 for unlimited data and all the talk time you could possibly use. And I got 4G service. The SIM was waiting for me at the hotel when I arrived. This year, I have more time, so I'm having it sent to my home.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Kolbi kiosk in Tamarindo? (data plan for sim card)

Thanks,

I just litterally put my son on the plane this morning!

I only learn in the last weeks about all the cellphone information(unlock, prepaid sim card etc). With all the valuable information we got here, I just hope he'll find a Ice-Kolbi kiosk or some kind of help in Tamarindo, where he'll be.

You're right, after all I read, I came also to the conclusion that it would have been easier to get the sim card before leaving. First, nobody could confirm me if there is a Kolbi kiosk at the Liberia airport or in Tamarindo. I just hope he'll find some help to get the data plan on his phone? Or else he has the info Raquel gave me :-)

That's after getting the prepaid sim card...;-)

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Kolbi kiosk in Tamarindo? (data plan for sim card)

waw3: You are really stressing out over nothing. If there is no (new) kiosk in the airport, it will be easy to find a place to buy a SIM card in Tamarindo. Relax. Your son will get his SIM card and have a great time.

Yes, you can buy on beforehand, but why? It's kind of like bringing a suitcase full of water bottles because you're not sure where you can buy one. Believe me, you can buy one at many places.

Edited: 9:07 am, June 14, 2013
Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Kolbi kiosk in Tamarindo? (data plan for sim card)

:-)

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Kolbi kiosk in Tamarindo? (data plan for sim card)

If you have a Android phone and you are less than fluent in Spanish, get a free app called Translate. It will translate the Kolbi text messages for you. That's a huge help.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
332 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Kolbi kiosk in Tamarindo? (data plan for sim card)

When you have a chance to communicate with your son would you find out if he used a kiosk in the Liberia airport (and the hours it's open if he noticed) then report back?

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Kolbi kiosk in Tamarindo? (data plan for sim card)

Hi,

Did any of you ever have problem texting outside Costa Rica?

It seems I can text from Canada to CR but the receiver of my message can't text me, even though, he can phone me! ??

18. Re: Kolbi kiosk in Tamarindo? (data plan for sim card)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo