We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport Copies

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
harrisburg pa
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Topic
Passport Copies

Do I need to have copies of my passport to travel about Costa Rica?

That is not something I would normally take on a guided tour, but I did see that

it is on the "what to bring" list on some of the tour company websites.

Please avise.

Thanks!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,034 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport Copies

Everybody needs to have an identity document. For foreigners in Costa Rica that would be a passport. A copy of a passport because it is better to leave the document on a safe place when going on a tour or to the beach.

Georgetown, Canada
Level Contributor
205 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport Copies

We were there for 2 weeks and were never once stopped and asked for it. Our friends were there for 3 weeks and were stopped when out driving and taking pictures. They didn't have it and they said it was really unnerving to be in front of the of police in full gear and being questioned ...They said the next trip it will be something they make sure to carry with them at all times. :-)

Canada
Level Contributor
3,780 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport Copies

Take a digital photo of your stamped passport. That is enough. They just want to know that you have not overextended your stay.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport Copies

By law, you are required to have a copy of your passport or your passport with you whenever you leave your lodging. As others have said, it's a lot easier to make a color copy of your passport and keep that with you rather than drag your passport everywhere.

A digital photo may or may not satisfy the police. Safer just to have a copy.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport Copies

Just to highlight the important point: Do not just copy the data page of your passport. It is equally important to make a copy of the page containing the entry stamp. Make sure that the date is legible on your copy!!!

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport Copies

Yes, it is always better to have a copy of your passport . If you are not costarican the official identification is the passport, and if you need to go to the bank to exchange money they will ask for a passport.

Bx
Level Contributor
233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport Copies

qcostarica.com/edition/…

Theoretically, The courts in Costa Rica have recently ruled that Immigration police can hold anyone for 24 hours if they question the authenticity or lack of travel documents (passport). After that, if you have not proven yourself legal, they can hold you another 30 days before they are obligated to bring charges and you before a judge.

Not having your passport on you or not a copy of your passport and your entry stamp can put you in this position. Some businesses (including any legal money changers) require your original passport to complete the transaction.

If you are driving and get pulled over expect to have to provide both your original passport and drivers license.

Then again, laws here are often enforced selectively and subjectively.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,780 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport Copies

More fear mongering by mickymoose. This “article” has to do with foreign workers, and human trafficking. Good for them. The last thing a traffic cop of tourist police want to do is to detain a legitimate tourist. If they did it would be all over every newspaper including International ones.

Have reasonable proof like a photocopy of digital photo and you will be fine.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport Copies

There have actually been cases where the police would not accept a copy of a passport as ID - but - they then followed the people to their hotel where they looked at the original passport and said, "OK." But this is very rare.

Bx
Level Contributor
233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport Copies

"More fear mongering by mickymoose"

It is not fear mongering, it is the law. I did include that laws in Costa Rica are selective and subjective.

If something I post is untrue, please provide evidence and not innuendo. The individual was asking whether ID was required on his person. I provide the law and you use innuendo.

Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo