We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book tours in advance?

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norristown
7 posts
Save Topic
Book tours in advance?

Coming into either tamarindo or playas del coco in about a month. Me and my friend are somewhat spontaneous, and usually like to do things as we feel like it. Is it necessary to book in advance, or can we find stuff to do same day? For ex., fishing, snorkeling, zip lines, etc.

Wayne, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Playa Conchal
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book tours in advance?

Not at all, and I always discourage it. . There is nothing that you want to do that you can't contract for once you get there. Half the country is dedicated to exchanging your cash for a wonderful experience. You never know how you will feel on a given day, what the weather holds, or what might serendipitously cross you path. Only if you are looking to book a specific deep sea fishing charter, should you consider pre-booking.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
562 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book tours in advance?

That depends on which tours you are thinking about booking. Since I work with tourists and we have a minimum amount of people necessary to do a tour (in our case 4 people) it would help me to pair you up with another couple if you let us know in advance. If you were here now and called me for a tour for today, for example, since you decided to be spontaneous and wait for the last minute, you might not get to go today, unless you paid the boat minimum. But, it is high season and you will probably do OK booking tours when you get here....I'm just letting you know that from this end, especially fitting in couples, it helps us a lot when you let us know in advance which days you are available. David was right about a deep sea fishing charter, which usually have a set rate to take the boat out no matter how many guests are going.

About the weather....it's always sunny here in Coco and Tamarindo this time of year. You can do tours any day.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book tours in advance?

For the month of March I would try to book prior to arrival.

Norristown
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Book tours in advance?

This is early - middle of April. We are thinking of things like zipline, white water raft, hiking, etc

The Woodlands, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Book tours in advance?

I agree in part with David W. It is a good idea, I think, to book some things through a tour company. But you can do it when you get there. if you are exhausted from surfing, you may want to do a different kind of tour the next day. We booked a couple of tours at Destination Adventures. They have a store front right there on the main street. For multiple activities at different locations, I thought it was invaluable in terms of handling things in an efficient way. For single, nearby activities, you could simply drive there, and finding unscheduled stops are a lot of fun if you have the time and flexibility. But if you are spoiled to GPS, be warned. You can get a long way down a rough road in Costa Rica before you figure out it's the wrong one! ;-O

Trips booked through the guides take some uncertainty out of the trip. We went to Monkey Jungle on our own. It was only when we got there that we found out their credit card machine was broken. We luckily scraped up enough dollars and colones to pay cash, or it would have been a lot of wasted time either returning home or finding an ATM in a nearby town.

I would discourage booking ahead of arrival, but for distant drives and multiple locales, you should at least talk to the guides about their packages when you get there.

6. Re: Book tours in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 19, 2014