We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping Tour Operators and Taxi Drivers, etc

harrisburg pa
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Topic
Tipping Tour Operators and Taxi Drivers, etc

What is the normal percentage to tip our taxi/shuttle driver,

tour operators, hotel room maid, bar tender, etc?

I will be staying at an all inclusive resort, we usually just give the maid a few bucks a day plus tip the bar tender at the end of the day and or evening.

Will that work?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,502 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping Tour Operators and Taxi Drivers, etc

Do not forget about chef, chef's assistant, dishwahers, garderners,pool boy (or girl), receptionists, and above all, hotel manager. Damn, what is all this how much to tip questions?! Give as much as you want. If zero nobody will chase you around. If only a few bucks people will still smile and say Gracias. If too much, well, there is never too much. It is not like in the USA when if one do not calculate how much is 16,5% out of the total amount for dinner fast enough, you can get a nasty look and an attitude by the waitress (my personal experience).

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping Tour Operators and Taxi Drivers, etc

Many people just give a largish tip to the hotel manager to be distributed to the staff. Others just tip the housekeeping ladies. Maybe the bartender or waiter/waitress.

It really is up to you. Whatever you feel is appropriate is what you should tip. Anything you decide to tip will be appreciated.

For drivers or tour guides - the same. I always tip a little something, and that increases with the amount of service I get. But really, your decision.

3. Re: Tipping Tour Operators and Taxi Drivers, etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 18, 2014