We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dental Trip to Costa Rica/Medical Tourism

Newburyport, MA
6 posts
Save Topic
Dental Trip to Costa Rica/Medical Tourism

In 2011 I required major dental work and it was suggested that I investigate Medical Tourism in Costa Rica, after a great deal of research and a little luck I found and contacted Dr. Peter Aborn. Peter is an expat from New York City who brought his amazing talents to first San Jose and now his brand new clinic in a much more favorable destination of Tamarindo on the Pacific coast, where you can enjoy a wonderful destination and receive the best dental work of any type at a reasonable price, especially compared to prices in the U.S..

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dental Trip to Costa Rica/Medical Tourism

Peter Aborn has a great reputation and does a lot of charity work throughout the year, especially his project in the Talamanca area with indigenous villages that you can only get to on foot. I'm not a big fan of Tamarindo, but I would pick it any day over San Jose.

Newburyport, MA
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dental Trip to Costa Rica/Medical Tourism

Whoops, forgot how to reach them, here's their website:

www.idscostarica.com/

New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dental Trip to Costa Rica/Medical Tourism

That link is not working. All I'm getting is "pageok". That's it.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dental Trip to Costa Rica/Medical Tourism

Try this one http://dentistrycostarica.com/draborn.html

New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dental Trip to Costa Rica/Medical Tourism

Thanks, that works, though the page lists a San Jose address rather than Tamarindo.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dental Trip to Costa Rica/Medical Tourism

It's possible he has an office in both locations. Some doctors/dentists do that - part time in the San Jose area and then part time somewhere else.

Just email and ask them about office hours in Tamarindo.

Rising Fawn, Georgia
Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dental Trip to Costa Rica/Medical Tourism

I'm curious as to what "affordable" means? I need several crowns which cost about $1200 each in Massachusetts. Is it significantly less in Costa Rica?

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dental Trip to Costa Rica/Medical Tourism

Affordable means that the price is significantly less, often about 1/4 of the price you'd pay in the US.

I had a whole lot of work done - crowns on all but eight teeth, titanium anchors, etc. Price quoted by various dentists in the US hovered around US$75,000. I paid less than US$15,000 in Costa Rica.

9. Re: Dental Trip to Costa Rica/Medical Tourism

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, March 07, 2013
Rising Fawn, Georgia
Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dental Trip to Costa Rica/Medical Tourism

Wow! I'm visiting Tamarindo at the end of April. I guess I should look into getting some dental work done while I'm there. Thanks for the info!