We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tamarindo - Hotel Help !

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tamarindo - Hotel Help !

Myself and four other girls are taking a trip to CR in mid-august. Based on my research I think the Tamarindo area is where we want to stay. Want to be close to nightlife, restaurants, nice beaches and activities.

I need some help deciding where we should stay. I'd love a chain hotel to use points like the JW Marriott, but it seems like it might be too far from the action.

I also looked at possibly the Jaco area to stay at the Marriott there but couldnt determine whether it seemed like a good option.

any thoughts?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,099 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tamarindo - Hotel Help !

I stayed at Capitan Suizo in Tamarindo and really liked it. This was a few years ago but I am sure the place is still top notch. More will chime in soon but that's my 2 cents on it.

Cheers

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,952 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tamarindo - Hotel Help !

If you are dealing with points at Marriot...and do not want to drive to much for the action...Maybe Los Sueños which is about 30 minutes or less to Jaco clubs...you can take taxis...BUT the beach at Los Sueños is not one of our best beaches...

JW MArriot great resort maybe abaout 35 miutes from Tamarindo...also nice bars and places to eat...you can use taxis as well or just rent a car...incredible nice beach at JW...

roadadvisor

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tamarindo - Hotel Help !

As you can see here on TA, the town of Tamarindo has a wide variety of hotels to choose from. With prices ranging from $40 to $400 per night, you can pretty much find anything that you are looking for. RoadAdvisor is right about the two Marriotts, but beware that the JW Marriott in Hacieda Pinilla is about a $30 taxi ride (30 minutes) from the town of tamarindo and is pretty remote. The beach there is lovely, but you can't even go to a grocery store without having to drive a half-hour. Maybe look into saving your Marriott points and choose a convenient in-town option that suits you best?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tamarindo - Hotel Help !

If you need to use your Marriott points then in Guanacaste you will only find the JW Marriott which is a deluxe hotel with a nice beach. From there you can easily get the hotel to call you a cab if you want to visit the Tamarindo Beach. Otherwise there are plenty of options right in Tamarindo such as the Tamarindo Diria, Capitan Suizo, Jardin del Eden, Tamarindo Vista Villas etc.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tamarindo - Hotel Help !

Ok yeah $30he taxi rides is a no-go. What are the good hotel options in town for tamarindo?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,952 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tamarindo - Hotel Help !

Cala Luna...Tamarindo Diria...Garden of Eden...Casa Cook...

roadadvisor

encinitas,calif.
Level Contributor
970 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tamarindo - Hotel Help !

we love capitan suizo. breakfast is included. you can walk into town on thebeach at low tide and short taxi ride if you want to go out to dinner. staff is very nice, the pool area is lovely as is the restaurant which is openair.the town is simple but plenty of restaurant and a little bit of shopping.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tamarindo - Hotel Help !

Capitan Suizo or Cala Luna or Tamarindo Diria right in the heart of town

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tamarindo - Hotel Help !

The JW Marriott does have shuttle service to Tamarindo for $7 each way but it only runs every 2 hrs and is not 24 hrs. It's also about 30 minutes each way on a very bumpy road. For me, I didn't feel like being tossed around in the bus each night :)

Tamarindo Diria is in an excellent location on a fantastic beach. However, if you are thinking Marriott standards, you will be disappointed. I would say American 2.5 star at best. It's decent but things like no mini fridge, no coffee maker in room, no room service drive me to give the 2.5 star rating. I would return to the Diria for the beach, pool and nightlife but for the right price.

I cannot comment on other properties as these are the only two I've been fortunate enough to experience!

10. Re: Tamarindo - Hotel Help !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:47 am, June 30, 2013