We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barra Honda Caverns

California
Level Contributor
217 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Barra Honda Caverns

Has any one been to the Caverns?

How long is the drive fron the Tamarindo/Flamingo area?

Is it worth the drive?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa
Flamingo Beach Resort...
2,281 Reviews
Playa Flamingo, Costa Rica
Tamarindo...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barra Honda Caverns

It is about 1.5 hour drive.. Barra Honda Caves are voted one of the 10 places to visit while in Costa Rica. There is a lot of hikig involved so make sure to get a good nights rest!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,375 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barra Honda Caverns

I've been five times and always enjoyed myself. As Michelle pointed out, the drive is about 1.5 to 2 hours - it's an easy drive, too.

To me, the caves don't require a lot of hiking but I think that this assessment simply depends on your physical fitness. To get to the cave(s), you basically hike up a mountain - since it tends to be hot (and sometimes humid, too), the hike can be strenuous to some.

Before you can hike up, you will have to report to the ranger station at the parking lot. They'll charge you the appropriate fees, assign you a guide, and provide helmets and flashlights.

Your first stop will be an overlook over the Tempisque valley. After that, you will continue on toward the cave where you will be strapped into a harness and connected to a safety rope. Then, you will descend a steep (and tall) aluminum ladder to get to the bottom of the cave.

From there, the guide will take you through the cave. Be prepared to get a bit dirty - some of the passages can be narrow and it's easy to collect a bit of dirt. Also, be aware that the cave tends to be humid, meaning that you will likely sweat quite a bit.

Make sure you have a little cooler with some ice cold beverages in your car - there's nothing you'll want more after this excursion...

California
Level Contributor
217 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barra Honda Caverns

Thank you both very much! We will add this to the itinerary. I really appreciate all the tips.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
688 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barra Honda Caverns

Yes, do it!

I have been sailing in high winds, skydiving a couple times, jumped off waterfalls, but nothing compared to the rush I got going down that ladder and around in the caves. Of course that hike, in the intense heat, got my blood going before lowering down the moist ladder. Wear shoes with really good traction. It is humid and slippery down there.

Have a blast!

Whidbey Island...
Level Contributor
79 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barra Honda Caverns

Do you happen to remember what the cost was for the Ranger STation guide to take you to the cave? or if you had to reserve it? or do you just show up? Thanks!!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,231 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barra Honda Caverns

Dear Jen...

Just be sure to hire a great proffesional guide is a nice tour...but a lot better with a person that really knows what they are doing!

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
688 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barra Honda Caverns

I did it about 5 years ago and I just showed up. Don't really remember how much I paid but I'm thinking it was around $10 back then. It might be around double that now. ? I don't know, sorry. But it is worth it!

And yes, you do go with a guide. You cannot get in to the caves without one.

Whidbey Island...
Level Contributor
79 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barra Honda Caverns

Thank you for that SeaBirdCR! Just wanted to be sure I dont need to reserve a time or anything? It would be a bummer to get there and have them unavailable!

Level Contributor
6 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barra Honda Caverns

I did this drive in April 2013.

Road is bad but very manageable in dry season.

They DO NOT offer the sunset bat cve tour anymore.

They do offer walk in cave tours. We showed up at noon and it was not a problem cause we were the only tourists there so guide was ready.

The cave is fun but def. Short and not really spelunking. more like walking.

The hike out there is really nice full of animals, even better if you get a guide who isn't bored out of his mind... (like Joe was)

California
Level Contributor
217 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barra Honda Caverns

Where did u start and how long did it take to get to caves?