We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ohau or Costa Rica??

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
6 posts
Save Topic
Ohau or Costa Rica??

I am looking for advice on going to either Oahu or Costa Rica for our Honeymoon in 08/06. We WERE going to stay at Waikiki for 9 days 8 nights. Then I see this lovely place "Peace Lodge" in Costa...Now I'm thinking about going there for a couple days and hitting one of the Surf towns in Costa. Can ANYONE PLEASE help me with advice of where else to stay in Costa at the beach for a good surf spot and a reasonable price? Howabout airfare? Any good deals and/or travelsagencies trustworthy?

Thank You,

surferw264

cook264@yahoo.com

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ohau or Costa Rica??

Peace Lodge is beautiful and we enjoyed our stay, but for a week? I think you'll be bored. And the pool is very small. Costa Rica Expeditions was fine, and you can make arrangements directly with the lodge. We had the Monarch Villa and for quiet, it's the one I'd recommend. No upstairs or downstairs neighbors in the building - and sound really carries. Take a look at Makenda-by-the-Sea in Manuel Antonio. May be more what you'd really like. Use Peace Lodge for 2 nights on arrival and the transfer by car to Makenda for the balance of your stay. MA is more interesting and there are great beaches.

Oahu is not the island I'd pick for my honeymoon. Too much like NYC with a beach and better weather. Take a look at Maui. You can get direct flights from the mainland and it's far more what you'd expect Hawaii to be - and despite it all, I think the beaches are better than Waikiki. I like Kahala and Kona on the Big Island even better and there are several great places to stay. Check out the Kona Village Resort. I stayed just up from there at the Mauna Lani Bay, which I can also recommend. If you must stay on Oahu, try the Kahala Mandrin. It's away from the crush of downtown.

Air to CR was less for me than air to Hawaii, but I live on the east coast.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
113 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ohau or Costa Rica??

Hawaii is beautiful, but I would not recommend Oahu at all for a honeymoon. It is totally touristy and commercialized, the beaches are filled. I went to maui and spent 2 nights at a bed and breakfast and the rest of our trip in a condo right on the beach.(punahoa) It wasn't luxury, but it was perfect!

As for costa rica, I'm trying to plan a trip there now!

Orange County...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ohau or Costa Rica??

My boyfriend and I recently returned from CR. He's a surfer and loved it so much. For the surfing portion of the trip, we stayed in Playa Hermosa in the Central Pacific. I don't know too much about surfing, but according to him and our driver the waves were great and very consistent. Not too crowded either. We stayed at Fuego del Sol which was about $70 a night. Not bad, but not my favorite place. We also went to Manuel Antonio (where you will not get very much surf) and Arenal. We absolutely loved it.

I went to Oahu last year around the same time you are planning your trip. Having been to both, I would say, please do not go to Oahu for your honeymoon. I don't know where you are from, but for me, it was like leaving Orange County and going to LA. Oahu is like downtown anywhere. Lots of car and smelly from the cars...if you go out far enough, it will kind of look like a Hawaiian paradise, but in Costa Rica, everywhere is paradise.

Hope this helps.

new york
Level Contributor
151 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ohau or Costa Rica??

surferw264,

I think beach honeymoons can be very romantic but if you choose Costa Rica, don't go to Tamarindo. The beaches are not anywhere close to as beautiful as they are in Mexico, the Caribbean or in many areas of Hawaii. The sand and water is just not as clean or as pretty. Unless you both surf, I'd say pick a beautiful beach getaway where you can be alone and romantic. Costa Rica's beaches are fillled with tourists and alone time will be rare.

For good airfare, try travelocity.com, which will search many airlines for you. you can also go directly to the websites of airlines you like as well.

if you are on the east coast, i'd say pick one of the islands in the british virgin islands, dominical republic, french virgin islands, los cabos in mexico or even aruba. The beaches are prestine white and the water is turquoise all year round. Aruba is the cheapest I've seen in a long time.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
299 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ohau or Costa Rica??

As a West Coaster, I've traveled to Hawaii a lot and enjoy it. In spite of the crowds and big city feeling, I love Waikiki in part because the myriad non-Americans there does make it feel like a foreigh country. Still, of the two, I'd choose Costa Rica, selecting two or three places to stay. The Peach Lodge is a good pick for a couple of days but if you're into surfing, do head for the Guanacaste beaches between Tamarindo and Papagayo Bay. You might consider the Hotel Bula Bula in Playa Grande which has easy access to Tamarindo as well as Flamingo. (The owners of Bula Bula have made a real attempt to make their place romantic for people of all ages and it works!) Or head farther north to Las Playas Cocos, a string of four beach towns, each considerably different. And though it's further south, Manuel Antonio is great for sightseeing, places to stay, food, beaches and animal life. The Hotel California is an attractive and romantic place with balconies overlooking the jungle and Pacific Ocean -- great sunset views

yucaipa, Ca.
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ohau or Costa Rica??

If your boyfriend likes to surf, stay at Manuel Antonio, rent a car and then drive to the surf. Use the website wwannasurf.com for directions to breaks in the area. Barranca in the morning is a must (low tide) but is a two hour drive north of MA. I've been to Hawaii many times and once I went to Costa Rica, I never went to Hawaii again. My daughters felt the same way.

6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ohau or Costa Rica??

Thank You all for the advice...now not planning on staying for more than 3 days at the lodge!

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ohau or Costa Rica??

We were in Tamarindo in May and there were hardly any tourists, the beach was beautiful and we fifty yr. olds and our two young adult children loved it for our first visit to Costa Rica. I admit, there are many more locations I can't wait to get to in Costa Rica but I would go back in a second to the Hotel Capitan Suizo (approx. $165.oo for a bungalow where you can hear the ocean or walk several yards and be on it from the hotel open bar/restaraunt/pool). The beach there is swimmable, 8 minute walk on the beach to Tamarindo, where there is surfing right in front of town for beginners. A little further north or south and there is surfing for the more experienced. Go to www.visittamarindo.com and see for yourself that the beach is not ugly, not white, but tan sand.

Denver, CO
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Ohau or Costa Rica??

So many people limit themselves to Waikiki when they think of Oahu. Consider the N. Shore, esp. if your fiance surfs. It's still fun in the summer, although the winter is the biggest time for swells. The bad news is...your only choice is Turtle Bay Resort. The good news is...it's very beautiful there. All the rooms have an ocean view...and the cottages front the ocean. And there's a surf break right in front of the hotel. It's pricey, cuz they have no competition. But you'll feel like your a world away from Wacky-Kee.

As for CR, I agree totally with the other responders about the Peace Lodge. It's beautiful...in a manufactured/Disney kind of way...great views, jacuzzi on the balcony, oversized beds, fireplaces (it's at altitude)...but once you've done the spectacular waterfall tour & butterfly pavillion...you're done.

Down the coast...I only have experience in the Central Pacific. Jaco & Hermosa are the two surf areas I visited (two weeks ago). They're both very nice breaks...Jaco a little more gentle...but both are consistent with a sandy bottom. Check out wavescr.com. Nino & Gilbert are the best teachers you'll ever meet. And if you're already a pro, hire them to take you to a local (uncrowded) break. They're the best...I guarantee it.

Look for house/room rentals in Hermosa...it's a little more quaint than Jaco...which is the Ft. Lauderdale of that stretch.

Luxury in CR is defined by two properties: Los Suenos (1 mile from Jaco) and the Four Seasons (North/Guanacaste). LS is very luxe, but you won't feel like you've left the US until you leave the very large property. If you get and explore, it's a nice place to come back to. For "reasonable" try the Marriott/Los Suenos. The FS gets great ratings...but mostly from people who never leave the property.

In the Manuel Antonio Park area, you can't beat Si Como No. Not luxurious, but very nice...great views...amazing people & service...good food...and good location. The only complaint I've seen about SCN is the lack of TV's...they don't get it.

Most of all...in CR...be prepared to drive a lot. It's fun, if you like road trips. But it's sometimes a shock to people who expect everything within arm's reach.

Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo