We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I fear snakes...

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
71 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
I fear snakes...

then why am I going to Costa Rica? I want to see the country that has been described as a beauty. Those of you who have done the zip line, are snakes a frequent sight? At the springs??? Volcano??? My husband says I need to overcome this phobia, but I am afraid it's never going to happen, especially before we leave for Costa Rica in December.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
New England
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I fear snakes...

In five trips to Costa Rica I have seen one snake "in the wild" and he was about the size of a shoelace. The snakes will be trying to avoid you as much as you are trying to avoid them, maybe more so. Just take the usual precautions...be careful where you put your hands while hiking, etc.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I fear snakes...

Hello Pigi. Let me tell you that I´ve made Zip Line Tours around the entire country over 40 times and I´ve never seen one single snake. There are no snakes in the Hot Springs (as the snakes prefer cold water) and in the Volcano area might be some of them, but very deep in the jungle! I swear that the only place where you´ll see snakes is in the CostaRica Wildlife Guides available at the Souvenir Stores.

Please ask any other question you want to ask , , ,

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I fear snakes...

I´m a 28 year old tico and have never even seen a snake... but of course if you go deep into the forest thats another story...

California
Level Contributor
227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I fear snakes...

We just got back from ten days in CR. The only snake we saw was in a Snake House display.

Iowa
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I fear snakes...

Question for the "Costa Rican Guy": Going to be in Tamarindo in February with a group of 7. In your opinion, which company has the best zip line/canopy tour. Thanks.

Southern California
Level Contributor
998 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I fear snakes...

I saw two snakes last Spring near Quepos/MA. One was a green tree viper at Rainmaker and the other was a very large Fer de Lance (6 feet or so) on the road to Ronnie Lugar's.

California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I fear snakes...

pigi, my hubby is a biologist, actually his specialty is herpetology. He has an avid interest in snakes and his favorite hobby is finding them in their natural habitat and taking photos of them. Now, on our family vacation to Costa Rica, he tried to find snakes at all the family hikes we took, and didn't see even one! And he was LOOKING for them! (Just bad luck for him, you would consider it good luck!) Hope you find this reassuring.

General advice everywhere in nature is watch where you sit, where you step, and where you put your hands. As long as you do this, you won't sit on/step on/ accidentally disturb any snakes. They are afraid of YOU.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: I fear snakes...

Hi there TBone! Check out Witch Rock Canopy Tour. In my opinion is one of the best in the area. Mail me at achavez@ice.go.cr or at info@costaricaspecials.com for further information, or for assistance with tour and transportation arrangements.

Take Care!

Playa Hermosa...
Level Contributor
867 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I fear snakes...

Agreed, Witches Rock canopy is the best. Living here for 7 years I have seen about that many snakes....7. Mostly at sea while sailing. I trek through the bush showing real estate and scouting new tours and still no snakes! Rest easy...........I doubt you will see one!

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,133 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I fear snakes...

You hardly ever see any snakes in Costa Rica. They're way too frightened of the spiders and scorpions!

Actually we saw plenty in the Tortuguero area - mostly harmless Vine Snakes (see a few rather nice photos on www.avengerpenguins.com) but also a beautiful but rather dangerous Eyelash Viper. We didn't see any other snakes in the rest of Costa Rica.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America