We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costs of Things

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn NY
7 posts
Save Topic
Costs of Things

I know this is a super broad topic, but in a typical bar in Tamarindo and surrounding area's what is a good price (USD) for things like beer, food, etc. I'm trying to figure out how much cash to carry. LIke a miller lite in NYC where I live is typically $5 at a bar, what does it run in Costa Rica. How do Colon's match up to the dollar?

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costs of Things

Beer from $1.50 to $3, typical casado lunch $5, nice dinner under $20.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
344 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Costs of Things

One dollar is about 560 colones... you can pay with credit card in most of the places and if you are exchanging money do it at the bank

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costs of Things

There are ATM's in Tamarindo. We have used our Credit Card for most purchases. A nice meal can be bought for $20.00 but remember to add on your drinks, 10 per cent tip, and taxes.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Costs of Things

is there adifference in using u.s currency versus colones?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,850 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costs of Things

Well try and do your shopping with colones as much as possible. Exchange dollars at banks only. When paying for things with dollars on the street you will often not get the banks exchange rate on the money you are using, This is legal and everyone does it. Hotels, restaurants, gift shops, grocery stores, everyone.

The only good exchange you will get is at the bank.

Cheers

Inca

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Costs of Things

Do the ATM's dispense US dollars or colones?

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
734 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costs of Things

I believe most of the ATMs now will give both.

8. Re: Costs of Things

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 02, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo