We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking to do some fishing in the greater Tamarindo area

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
190 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Looking to do some fishing in the greater Tamarindo area

I would really like to do some fishing (regular fishing, not deep sea) and had a few questions about the best places to do it in the Tamarindo area. Someone told me that the river mouth between Playa Grande and Playa Tamarindo is a good place to fish, but I have yet to see anyone fishing there. Also, is there a tackle shop in town or nearby?

Mentioned in this post
Playa Grande
Playa Grande
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
344 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking to do some fishing in the greater Tamarindo area

The estuary at Langosta is probably a better spot... careful with the crocs at the river mouth between Tamarindo and Grande... tackle supplies...Flamingo or El Coco... if you are in town then talk with the locals... that's the best thing to do, they will tell you when and where it gets good...

Pura vida

2. Re: Looking to do some fishing in the greater Tamarindo area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:55 am, December 18, 2009
Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking to do some fishing in the greater Tamarindo area

The local native fisherman who's families have been surf fishing it for generations know best when and where to fish. I just saw one hauling around a fish over his back as big as he was tall! He caught it after swirling a line over his head with live bait and throwing it like a horseman at a rodeo out to sea.

A few years ago I paid a few bucks to have one of them teach me their method. I did OK, but never caught anything. However, as I found out, the big ones where nearby for my teacher caught a big Roosterfish not 30 yards from me.

While catching the live bait that was swimming around me and casting my line, the surf beat up my body and I was sore the next day, but it sure was fun! The 2-hour lesson, line and renting the wooden spindles wrapped in fishing line cost me $6.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking to do some fishing in the greater Tamarindo area

Surfsponger, that sounds incredible.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,025 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking to do some fishing in the greater Tamarindo area

Surfsponge...that is a good one!

Merryxmas my amigo!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

nat. hgts ,pa
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking to do some fishing in the greater Tamarindo area

would it be a good idea to bring your own fishing rod or can you rent rods if so how much a day is rod rentals

Chicago
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking to do some fishing in the greater Tamarindo area

Surf fishing in Playa Grande can be a blast. Watch for birds/sardines and cast a lure or live sardine as far past the surf as you can. I caught a 20 lb jack on light tackle (but 30 lb test) a few years back and it was the fight of my life. As one of the other posters said, the surf beats you up but if you hook a fish hang on.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Grande
Playa Grande
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Chicago
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking to do some fishing in the greater Tamarindo area

you need to bring your own, try to find a good break down travel rod.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,025 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking to do some fishing in the greater Tamarindo area

May suggestion...bring your own fishing rods..

Luis Roadadvisor

10. Re: Looking to do some fishing in the greater Tamarindo area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 16, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo