We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs/ Mosquitos....

NJ
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Bugs/ Mosquitos....

Hello.

How are the BUGS & Mosquitos during July? I havent heard to many issues w bugs/mosquitos. I don't want to be eaten alive...we'll be Hmoon'g next July (2006). thanks!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,527 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs/ Mosquitos....

I was there last month and didnt have too much trouble with getting bitten. I never saw any mosquitos but the "no see ums" will get you. Just use bug spray with deet and you will be fine

nowhere
Level Contributor
872 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs/ Mosquitos....

I too had troubles with the no-see-ums and tiny ants that bit. Killed one roach in a very clean and nice hotel, which is below average for the tropics. And I had crickets in my room, which almost drove me nuts till I got it out.

Not as 'buggy' as the USVI's or south west FL barrier islands.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
299 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs/ Mosquitos....

I returned from the Tamarindo area this morning (at 3 AM!) and was bitten three or four times by mosquitos and saw a lot of harmless millapedes outside as well as a few spiders. This was NOTHING compared to the spiders I found had taken over my yard back home. Fighting your way through webs at that time of the morning is not fun.

NJ
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs/ Mosquitos....

Thanks for the feedbk sean, earlybrass & zeuz...appreciate it!!

New England
Level Contributor
145 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bugs/ Mosquitos....

Not sure about next year... but my daughter just returned from CR (July 2005) & did not find mosquitos a problem (worried more about spiders, but had no issue with these either). She brought Deep Woods Off (as suggested by many on this forum) but didn't use very much. Look forward to your trip ~ it's sure to be wonderful!

(I think you'll find good advice on this forum too. We did.)